- This article relates to the Belgian coastal town of Blankenberge. For German towns with the near-homophonous name Blankenberg, see Blankenberg (disambiguation)
|Municipality of Belgium|
Blankenberge beach on a hot summer day
|• Mayor||Patrick De Klerck (Open VLD)|
|• Governing party/ies||Open VLD, CD&V|
|• Total||17.41 km2 (6.72 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
Blankenberge (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈbl̪ɑŋkəmbɛrɣ̟ə]) is a town and a municipality in the Belgian province of West Flanders. The municipality comprises the town of Blankenberge proper and the settlement of Uitkerke.
On 1 December 2011, Blankenberge had a total population of 19,322. The total area of the municipality is 17.41 km², giving a population density of 1,110 inhabitants per km².
Like most other Flemish coastal towns, a main characteristic of this one is that it is a national and to a certain extent international seaside resort.
Apart from the sandy beach, there's a structure unique along the Belgian coast: a 350-m long pier, constructed in 1933.
- Carnival Parade
- Two Day Marching event, every first weekend of May
- Flower Parade, every last Sunday of August
- Pieter Aspe, Belgian writer.
- Adolf Eugen Fick, the inventor of the contact lens, who died in Blankenberge in 1901.
- Frans Masereel, Flemish painter and woodcutter born here in 1889.
- Rudi Pillen (nl), Belgian contemporary painter.
- Brian Vandenbussche, Belgian goalkeeper.
Blankenberge has schools from both school networks in Belgium the two main schools are:
- Sint-Pieterscollege • Sint-Jozefshandelsschool (Subsidized free schools)
- Maerlant-Middenschool • Maerlant Atheneum (GO! Onderwijs van de Vlaamse gemeenschap)
Both schools have numeral different elementary schools organized by the same instances.
Lifeguards on the beach in Blankenberge, 1910
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blankenberge.|
Every year a couple of students from Japan visit Blankenberge and live with families over here. Afterworth students from Blankenberge go and visit Chikura for eight days. This is organised by vzw ‘Tweedaagse Voettocht van Blankenberge’.
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- 2daagse.be "Two-Day Walk successful in spite of bad weather".
- "rudipillen.be". rudipillen.be. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "Embassy of Japan in Belgium - Japan-Belgium Relations". Be.emb-japan.go.jp. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- fonzarelli (2010-08-14). "Blankenberge-Online-Persberichten". Blankenberge-online.be. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Official website in English (also available in Dutch, French and German)
- Tourist Information Blankenberge
- The Pier Blankenberge