|Traded as||LSE: BLNX|
|Founded||San Francisco, California, USA Cambridge, England, UK
|Headquarters||San Francisco, USA|
Blinkx (London AIM, stylized as blinkx), is an Internet Media platform that connects online video viewers with publishers and distributors, using advertising to monetize those interactions. blinkx has an index of over 35 million hours of video and 800 media partnerships; 111 patents related to the site's search engine technology, which is known as CORE.
Through its flagship site, blinkx.com, blinkx pioneered video search on the Internet, developing an engine based on technology that was conceived at Cambridge University, enhanced by $150M in R&D over 15 years, and is now protected by 111 patents. Today, blinkx is a broad digital media technology, distribution and monetization platform that connects consumers, advertisers and content across four screens. Through its partnerships with hundreds of media companies, including NBC, Conde Nast, Reuters and Bloomberg, blinkx has indexed and search enabled millions of hours of video content. blinkx powers video search, discovery or monetization on thousands of online properties including Lycos, Discovery Networks, Hallmark and Fox Sports. blinkx continues to pioneer innovative approaches to digital video distribution, expanding into mobile video and Connected TV through partnerships with Samsung, Sony, Roku and other industry leaders.
- 2004: Suranga Chandratillake, former US Chief Technology Officer of Autonomy Corporation, founded blinkx as a toolbar for web search, specializing in video.
- December 2004: blinkx launches audio and video search engine.
- July 2005: blinkx launches SmartFeed, an RSS web feed for video links.
- June 2006: blinkx reaches 4 million hours of searchable video content.
- October 2006: Microsoft Corp. agrees to use Blinkx technology to power the video search on some parts of its MSN service and Live.com. Other sites it powers include Lycos, InfoSpace, the RealPlayer and parts of AOL.
- February 2007: blinkx receives DEMOgod award from DEMO 07 conference organizers.
- June 2007: blinkx launches contextual video advertising platform named AdHoc.
- March 2008: blinkx releases the blinkx beat video screensaver.
- April 2008: The company launches its broadband TV application.
- May 2008: blinkx introduces the Advanced Media Platform (AMP), a proprietary video content management solution.
- August 2008: Launch of blinkx Remote, a directory of full-length TV shows online for the US and UK.
- December 2008: blinkx introduces the Un-roll Unit, a new ad unit for online video.
- April 2009: Acquires some of the assets of the bankrupt Zango company under its Pinball Corporation subsidiary.
- August 2009: blinkx joins YouTube, Hulu, and Yahoo! on Nielsen’s Top 10 Video Sites.
- April 2010: The company launches Behavioral Targeting through blinkx AdHoc.
- May 2010: blinkx launches mobile video search site.
- July 2010: blinkx announces the launch of a new mobile API (Application Programming Interface).
- October 2010: blinkx launches blinkx Beat for Google TV.
- October 2010: The company launches Cheep social shopping service.
- November 2010: blinkx achieves profitability and positive operating cash flow, doubles revenue year on year.
- February 2011: blinkx introduces TV API (Application Programming Interface).
- February 2011: blinkx announces partnership with woomi, the new connected TV destination from Miniweb Interactive, the cloud-based video distribution platform.
- February 2011: blinkx announces the blinkx app will be available on Boxee.
- April 2011: blinkx announces the acquisition of Burst Media, an online media and technology company headquartered in Burlington, Massachusetts. This acquisition brought 35 million hours of online video and TV to Burst Media’s audience of over 130 million unique users.
- May 2011: blinkx announces the blinkx app is available on Roku.
- October 2011: blinkx Appoints Frank Pao Executive Vice President of Business Affairs and General Counsel.
- November 2011: blinkx Announces Partnership With Orb Networks to Bring 35 Million Hours of TV, Video and Audio to Orb TV and Orb BR Users.
- November 2011: blinkx acquires Prime Visibility Media Group (PVMG).
- January 2012: blinkx receives a U.S. Patent for Moving Thumbnails technology.
- February 2012: blinkx CEO Suranga Chandratillake Selected for San Francisco Business Times 40 Under 40
- March 2012: blinkx Surpasses 100 Million Global Monthly Unique Visitors.
- July 2012: Chief Operating Officer Subhransu (“Brian”) Mukherjee appointed CEO and Executive Member of Board of Directors; Suranga Chandratillake, Founder, assumed role of President and Chief Strategy Officer.
- July 2012: blinkx founder Suranga Chandratillake elected Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
- September 2012: Open beta of next-generation blinkx site.
- October 2012: Dan Slivjanovski appointed as Senior Vice President of Marketing.
- January 2013: blinkx's next-generation video search and discovery site goes live.
- S. Brian Mukherjee, Chief Executive Officer
- Suranga Chandratillake, President and Chief Strategy Officer
- Edward Reginelli, Chief Financial Officer
- Frank Pao, Chief Business Officer
- Jim Morris, Chief Technology Officer
- BLNX.L London AIM
- "About". Blinkx. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "About". Blinkx. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Blinkx' original web page". May 14, 2005. Archived from the original on May 14, 2005. Retrieved July 12, 2007.
- "blinkx Unveils Search Engine for TV". Lost Remote. December 16, 2004. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Blinkx Gives Users Their RSS TV". PC World. July 19, 2005. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Blinkx to lead in video search engine". PhysOrg. July 6, 2006. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Microsoft Signs blinkx to Video Search". Jupiter Online Media. October 9, 2006. Retrieved July 8, 2007.
- "Coveted Award Recognizes Innovation and Significance of New 'blinkx it'". Internet Archive. February 8, 2007. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "blinkx launches contextual online video search ad platform". Search Engine Watch. June 25, 2007. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Tune in With blinkx beat: blinkx Brings Personalized Video Bulletins Straight to the Desktop". Reuters. March 19, 2008. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Blinkx BBTV brings Web interactivity to TV, film". CNET. April 1, 2008. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "blinkx Advanced Media Platform Unlocks the Potential of Video Assets for Publishers, Content Owners and Producers". Internet Archive. May 6, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Blinkx Launches TV Search Service". Wired. August 13, 2008. Retrieved September 5, 2008.
- "Blinkx Debuts 'Un-Roll' Streaming Video Ad Unit". MediaPost. December 29, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Zango goes titsup". The Register. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "NIELSEN ANNOUNCES JULY U.S. ONLINE VIDEO USAGE DATA". Bloomberg. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Holton, Kate (April 27, 2010). "Video search Blinkx launches ad service based on viewers' habits". Reuters. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Blinkx video search goes mobile". Metro. May 18, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Video search engine blinkx unveils mobile API". IntoMobile. July 24, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- blinkx Beat for Google TV
- "Cheep Combines Product Comparisons With Social Shopping". TechCrunch. October 26, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Now Showing At Video Search Engine Blinkx: Profits". TechCrunch. November 9, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Blinkx enters connected TV ecosystem". Broadband TV News. February 2, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "woomi Incorporates blinkx Video Content in OTT Offering". Internet Archive. February 15, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Blinkx Adds Search App to Boxee". Streaming Media Magazine. February 18, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Blinkx buys Burst for $30 million to boost online TV". Reuters. April 8, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "blinkx Provides Content to Roku With New App". tmcnet.com. May 30, 2011. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "blinkx Appoints Frank Pao Executive Vice President of Business Affairs and General Counsel". PR Newswire. October 5, 2011.
- "blinkx Announces Partnership With Orb Networks to Bring 35 Million Hours of TV, Video and Audio to Orb TV and Orb BR Users". Betanews.com. November 1, 2011.
- "Blinkx Buys PVMG For Engine And Agency". MediaPost. November 9, 2011.
- "blinkx Receives U.S. Patent Grant for Moving Thumbnails Technology". PR Newswire. January 26, 2012.
- "Forty Under 40: Suranga Chandratillake". San Francisco Business Times. February 24, 2012.
- "Blinkx reaches 100 million users milestone". M&M Global. March 27, 2012.
- "Blinkx founder becomes chief strategy officer". Broadband TV News. July 20, 2012.
- "blinkx Founder Elected Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering". Reuters. July 25, 2012.
- "BLINKX OPENS UP BETA OF NEXT-GEN VIDEO SEARCH AND DISCOVERY SITE". ConnectedWorld.tv. September 18, 2012.
- "Blinkx names Dan Slivjanovski senior VP marketing". Telecompaper. October 24, 2012.
- "blinkx's Next Generation Video Search And Discovery Site Goes Global With Full Availability". PR Newswire. January 22, 2013.