Blitz Kids (band)
|Also known as||Rig Up Explosive (2006-2009)|
|Genres||Alternative rock, pop punk|
|Years active||2006 - present|
|Labels||Red Bull Records|
|Past members||Eddie Hawx
The band was formed in 2006 by original members Joe James, Jono Yates, Nic Montgomery, Billy Evanson and Eddie Hawx. The band was initially named "Rig Up Explosive", but the name was changed to Blitz Kids in 2009. The name meaning was explained to be inspired by Joe's grandfather who was in a gang who named themselves 'Blitz Kids' during the events of World War II.
The band released two albums, Scavangers, a mini-album, and Vagrants and Vagabonds, their first full-length feature, along with an EP entitled Decisions.
Two of the original members, Billy Evanson and Eddie Hawx, were forced to leave the band due to personal issues in 2012. Matt Freer replaced Eddie on drums in later 2012 and the band released a third EP entitled Never Die.
Tours and festivals
Significant tours Blitz Kids have embarked on include opening for D.R.U.G.S. in the UK in March 2011, opening for Mayday Parade in the UK in May 2011, and touring with Australian pop-punk band Tonight Alive in October 2012 across the UK. To support the release of Never Die Blitz Kids went on a headline tour of the UK in December 2012 with Evarose as main support on most dates.
Blitz Kids have played a number of UK festivals, including the Red Bull stage at Sonisphere Festival UK in 2010, Hevy Festival the same year, then the Introducing Stage at Slam Dunk in 2011 as well as Download Festival in the summer of 2011. They also played Radstock Festival in Liverpool in March 2013.
In January 2013, Blitz Kids were named the support band for American pop punk band We The Kings tour of the UK. Almost straight off the back of this tour they were named main support for Lower Than Atlantis's tour of Europe. This tour came just days after being announced to be playing Download Festival and Slam Dunk Festival. In April 2013 the band parted with Hassle Records and signed with Red Bull Records, and later in the year the band was a support act for rock band Mallory Knox. After that tour they were named as main support for pop punk band All Time Low across Europe in February and March 2014. In August 2014 they played at Merthyr Rock, along with Reel Big Fish and Anti-Flag.
- Joe James - vocals (2006 - present)
- Jono Yates - guitar, backing vocals (2006 - present)
- Nic Montgomery - bass, backing vocals (2006 - present)
- Matt Freer - drums (2012 - present)
- Eddie Hawx - drums (2006 - 2012)
- Billy Evanson - guitar (2006 - 2012)
|2011||Vagrants & Vagabonds|
|2014||The Good Youth
|2011||"Hold Fast"||Vagrants & Vaginabonds|
|2013||"On My Own"||The Good Youth|
|"Run For Cover"|
Nominations and achievements
- "Nicola Craig Tumblr: 2011 Blitz Kids, Southampton". Nicola Craig. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "BLITZ KIDS LOSE TWO MEMBERS". Punktastic. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Reid, Sean (2009-08-20). "Blitz Kids To Support D.R.U.G.S. on UK Tour". Alter The Press!. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Kerrang! Mayday Parade confirm support for UK tour". Kerrang.com. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Blitz Kids Announce New Mini-Album & Headline Tour | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Kerrang! Blitz Kids announce rescheduled tour dates". Kerrang.com. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Sonisphere Stage Times 2010 | News, Top Posts". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Hevy Festival Adds More Names! | News". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Slam Dunk 2011 Stage Times | News". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Download Announce 43 New Bands | News". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Blitz Kids confirmed for Radstock Festival". Wiseblood Management. 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Blitz Kids And Natives To Support We The Kings In January | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "And the nominees are...". Kerrang.com. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 2013-04-30.