Block Island Southeast Light
|Location||South East Light Road, New Shoreham, Rhode Island|
|Year first constructed||1875|
|Year first lit||1875|
|Foundation||Granite / Concrete / Brick|
|Tower shape||Octagonal pyramidal tower attached to dwelling|
|Markings / pattern||Natural with black lantern|
|Height||52 feet (16 m)|
|Focal height||261 feet (80 m)|
|Original lens||1st order Fresnel lens (1875)|
|Current lens||1st order Fresnel lens from Cape Lookout Light|
|Range||20 nautical miles (37 km; 23 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl Green 5 sec|
|Fog signal||Horn, 1 every 30 sec|
Block Island South East Light
|Architect||US Light House Board; Tynan, T.H.|
|NRHP Reference #||97001264
|Added to NRHP||September 25, 1997|
|Designated NHL||September 24, 1997|
Although Congress appropriated $9,000 to build this light in 1856, the funds were used to build a new Block Island North Light after the old one was washed away in a storm. This light was finally built in 1875. The original optic was a first order Fresnel lens standing about 12 feet (3.7 m) tall with four circular wicks burning whale oil. The whale oil was replaced by kerosene in 1880 and the lens was modified to rotate floating in a pool of mercury, driven by a clock whose weights had to be rewound every four hours.
In 1990, the Coast Guard deactivated the light and replaced it with a nearby steel tower. Because of ongoing erosion of the bluffs, in 1993 the entire 2,000 ton structure was moved about 300 feet (91 m) back from the cliffs. After the move, the Coast Guard decided not to reinstall the mercury float lens, but instead installed the first order lens from Cape Lookout Lighthouse.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Rhode Island". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2013. p. 7.
- Rowlett, Russ (2013-04-08). "Lighthouses of Rhode Island". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Block Island South East Light". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- Andrea E. Reynolds. "Block Island South East Lighthouse National Historic Landmark Study". National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-10-22.
- Daytripper's Guide: Block Island; University of Rhode Island Sea Grant; retrieved on October 22, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Block Island Southeast Light.|
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. RI-27, "Block Island Southeast Light, Spring Street & Mohegan Trail at Mohegan Bluffs, New Shoreham, Washington County, RI", 53 photos, 12 measured drawings, 55 data pages, 4 photo caption pages
- SAH Archipedia Building Entry