Block Island State Airport
|Block Island State Airport|
|IATA: BID – ICAO: KBID – FAA LID: BID|
|Owner||State of Rhode Island|
|Operator||Rhode Island Airport Corp.|
|Serves||Block Island, Rhode Island|
|Elevation AMSL||108 ft / 33 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Block Island State Airport (IATA: BID, ICAO: KBID, FAA LID: BID) is a public use airport located on Block Island, in Washington County, Rhode Island, United States. The airport is owned by the State of Rhode Island. It is primarily a general aviation airport, but there is also scheduled airline service to Westerly State Airport. The airport opened in 1950.
As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 10,384 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 8,516 enplanements in 2009, and 9,821 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service airport based on enplanements in 2008 (more than 10,000 per year), however it qualifies as a non-primary commercial service airport based on enplanements in 2010.
Block Island State Airport is one of six active airports operated by the Rhode Island Airport Corporation, the other five being T.F. Green State Airport, Newport State Airport, North Central State Airport, Quonset State Airport and Westerly State Airport.
Facilities and aircraft
Block Island State Airport covers an area of 136 acres (55 ha) at an elevation of 108 feet (33 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 10/28 with an asphalt surface measuring 2,502 by 100 feet (763 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending August 30, 2010, the airport had 16,503 aircraft operations, an average of 45 per day: 61% general aviation, 38% air taxi, and <1% military. At that time there were 4 aircraft based at this airport: 75% single-engine and 25% multi-engine.
Airlines and destinations
|Cape Air||Seasonal: Providence, White Plains (both begin May 22, 2014)|
|New England Airlines||Westerly|
- FAA Airport Master Record for BID ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (BID: Block Island)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- Block Island State Airport (BID) page from Rhode Island Airport Corp.
- Airfield photos of Block Island State Airport (BID) from U.S. Civil Air Patrol at the Wayback Machine (archived August 14, 2007)
- Aerial image as of March 1995 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for BID, effective March 6, 2014
- Resources for this airport: