|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
|Type of site||Network|
|Alexa rank||4,067 (April 2014[update])|
BlogHer is a community and media company founded by Elisa Camahort Page, Jory des Jardins, and Lisa Stone in 2005. The company, Blogher LLC, includes conferences and a blog ad network. In 2007, it expanded to included BlogHers Act, a political blogging network by and for women.
BlogHer began as a conference in 2005 in San José, California. It began with an idea and a blog, and once announced, quickly grew to a 300-person conference on women and blogging. The BlogHer team in 2005 included Elisa Camahort, Elise Bauer, Jenn Satterwhite, Jory Des Jardins, Lisa Stone, Lisa Williams, Maria Niles, Mir Verburg, and Toby Bloomberg.
The second BlogHer conference was held in San José and was much larger than the first, with at least 750 attendees. Keynote speakers included Arianna Huffington, Catarina Fake, Caroline Little, Chris Nolan, Mena Trott, Grace Davis, Meg Hourihan, and Marnie Webb.
BlogHer '07 keynote speakers in Chicago include Rashmi Sinha, Gina Bianchini, Annalee Newitz, Elizabeth Edwards, and Esther Dyson. In 2007, the community events also expanded to a business blogging conference in March in New York City. BlogHer Business keynote speakers included Elisa Camahort, Jeannette Gibson, Stephanie Bergman, Rachel Clarke, Lisa Weinstein, Lisa Stone, Debi Fine, Marissa Mayer, Stacy Morrison, and Caroline Little.
On July 16, 2008, iVillage, a network of online media outlets owned by NBC Universal, announced that it had reached a partnership with the BlogHer network to provide content for sites across the iVillage network. Additionally, BlogHer received $5 million in funding from Peacock Ventures, NBC Universal's venture investment arm.
Blogher 2011 was held in San Diego in August.
Blogher 2012 was held in New York City from August 2–5, at the Hilton New York. The conference was the largest ever, with more than 5,000 registered attendees. Many notable speakers were a part of the conference, including a live video appearance from President Barack Obama. Also featured were keynote sessions with Martha Stewart, Katie Couric, and a panel of celebrities-doing-good: Soledad O'Brien (moderator), former model Christy Turlington and Malaak-Compton Rock, a philanthropist and comedian Chris Rock's wife.
Group blog and online community
In 2006, BlogHer started a group blog featuring over 60 women blogging on a variety of subjects. Its forums expanded to include a large worldwide community of bloggers who are women.
- "Blogher.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Gillmor, Dan (25 January 2013). "TechCrunch's teachable moment: media sites must own the conversation". The Guardian (London: Guardian Media Group). Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- Nye, Calley (2008-07-16). "BlogHer Inks Deal With NBC Universal, Raises $5 Million". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- BlogHer.org blog network (http://blogher.org/)
- BlogHer conference announcement, 2005.
- BlogHer conference announcement, 2006.
- "Building Companies the Women's Way", New York Times, 6/28/2007.
- Cooper Monroe. BlogHers Act: How 11,000 Women Bloggers are Organizing to Save the World. The Huffington Post.
- Lisa Stone.