||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2011)|
A blog rally is the simultaneous presentation of identical or similar material on numerous blogs, for the purpose of engaging large numbers of readers and/or persuading them to adopt a certain position or take a certain action. The simultaneous nature of a blog rally can create the result of joining the efforts of otherwise independent bloggers for an agreed-upon purpose. Blog Action Day can be likened to a blog rally.
The first recorded definition and use of a blog rally occurring from November 26 through November 30, 2008, in support of a viral movement called 'Engage with Grace: The One Slide Project' was organized to encourage families to discuss end-of-life care issues while gathered together for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. As reported by one of the project organizers, over 95 bloggers participated in this event. This blog rally was repeated in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
Another blog rally occurred in April 2009, when a group of bloggers in the Boston area banded together in support of the Boston Globe, which was threatened with closure by its owner, The New York Times Company. Over two dozen bloggers simultaneously published a post asking readers to submit suggestions on ways the Globe could improve its financial position. Later that month, another blog rally emerged in support of an imprisoned Iranian writer, Roxana Saberi.
Another blog rally occurred on June 22, 2009, when thought leaders across healthcare collaborated to launch HealthDataRights.org and unveiled a shared statement to ensure patients’ rights to access and share their own health information. A blog rally supported the introduction of the Declaration of Health Data Rights.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2011)|
- Boston Globe on November 26, 2008
- Wall Street Journal's Health Blog on November 26, 2008
- Endless Knots Blog on November 23, 2008
- Running a Hospital Blog on April 6, 2009
- Blue Mass Group Blog on April 6, 2009
- Venture Cyclist Blog on April 6, 2009
- Life As a Healthcare CIO Blog on April 6, 2009
- Boston Globe article on April 7, 2009
- "Got a Cause? Stage a Blog Rally" Slice of MIT, News and Views for the Alumni Community Blog
- "In Boston, paper's peril hits a nerve" New York Times April 12, 2009
- "Bloggers rally for health data rights" Boston Globe June 22, 2009
- The Health Care Blog November 25, 2010