|Slogan||"A sinister cabal of superior writers."|
|Type of site||Blog/Online magazine|
|Created by||Eric Olsen and Phillip Winn|
|Alexa rank||41,019 (December 2013[update])|
|Current status||Owned and operated by Technorati|
Blogcritics is a blog network and online magazine of news and opinion. The site - a self-proclaimed "sinister cabal of superior writers" - was founded in 2002 by Eric Olsen and Phillip Winn. Blogcritics features hundreds of original articles every week, and maintains an archive of all their published content.
The site was founded in 2002 with 50 members and has substantially increased that number by allowing anyone to contribute. A team of editors reviews every article prior to publication on the site.
In August 2008, the blog search engine, Technorati, acquired Blogcritics for an undisclosed amount of money. As a result, publisher Olsen and technical director Winn became full-time Technorati employees. One of the first collaborative ventures of the two entities was for Blogcritics writers to begin writing descriptions of Technorati tags.
In his official email newsletter, sent during the week of 12 Sep 2010, publisher Eric Olsen stated that he was leaving Blogcritics and Technorati:
After eight wondrous years of blood, sweat, and cheers, I (Eric Olsen) am leaving my position as publisher of Blogcritics and Technorati and heading out into the cruel world as of Sept 15. Though I am moving on, I am extremely excited about the future of Blogcritics and Technorati and strongly encourage you to continue your relationship with these outstanding organizations!
—Eric Olsen, BC/Technorati Newsletter #63
As of November 22, 2011, Blogcritics has 3,997 blog writers registered.
Blogcritics has won several blog awards, including a Bloggie and recognition as a Forbes.com Best Media Blog. In addition, the site is an accredited news source for both Google News and Yahoo! News.
- "Blogcritics.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Blogcritics about page
- Media release about Blogcritics redesign
- "Technorati Acquires BlogCritics, Gets Into Content Game". TechCrunch. August 26, 2008. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- Jennifer Van Grove (2009-02-03). "New Technorati Tag Pages: Good For Them, But What About You?". Mashable.com. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Tartakoff, Joseph (April 28, 2009). "paidContent.org - Technorati's Blogcritics Gets A Makeover". The Washington Post. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- "Writers". Blogcritics Magazine.
- "Online Magazine Blogcritics Redesigns, Streamlines, Redefines What It Means to be Superior"