Blohm & Voss P.170
|BV P.170 model|
|Manufacturer||Blohm & Voss|
|Number built||None completed|
This plane is one of the aircraft designed by Richard Vogt in 1942. Although still rather odd-looking, the BV P.170 had a symmetrical basic structure unlike other Blohm & Voss projects of the time. The fuselage was cylindrical with the central engine located at the front end and the cockpit at the back end. The other two engines were located at both ends of the constant chord wing and their propellers turned in opposite directions. The aircraft was equipped with three powerful BMW 801D engines which were fed by separate 2,000 liter fuel tanks each.
This plane was based on the Nazi propaganda concept for a Schnellbomber, a bomber so fast that it would be far faster than any enemy fighter aircraft threatening it. Therefore providing it with defensive armament was deemed superfluous. Eventually, owing to other war-related priorities, as well as the new possibilities offered by the development of turbojets, the BV P.170 did not go into production.
Blohm & Voss P.170 three-engined bomber project powered by three radial propeller engines.
Data from Dieter Herwig & Heinz Rode, The Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Strategic Bombers 1935-1945. Midland Counties Publ. ISBN 978-1857800920
- Crew: two
- Length: 14.3 m (46 ft 11 in)
- Wingspan: 16 m (52 ft 6 in)
- Height: 3.65 m (12 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 44 m2 (470 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 9,100 kg (20,062 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 13,300 kg (29,321 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 2800
- Powerplant: 3 × BMW 801D Propeller engines
- Maximum speed: 820 km/h (510 mph; 443 kn)
- Range: 2,000 km (1,243 mi; 1,080 nmi)
- Combat range: 2,500 km (1,553 mi; 1,350 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 11,650 m (38,222 ft)
- Guns: No defensive guns provided
- Bombs: 1 × SC 1000 bomb or 2 × SC 500 bombs or 4 × SC 250 bombs
- Mr A I Bruce. "Blohm & Voss operated Hamburger Flugzeugbau aircraft company". Wehrmacht-history.com. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- Blohm & Voss BV P.170 Luft '46 Entry
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blohm & Voss P.170.|
- Planet Models' 1/48 scale - Blohm und Voss P.170
- Martin Letts' Blohm & Voss Bv P.170
- B&V P.170 models