|Distributor(s)||Spectra, Diamante Music Group|
|Country of origin||US|
Blonde Vinyl was an independent record label founded in 1990 by Michael Knott. The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music describes the label as "one of Christian music's first true indie labels."
Prior to Blonde Vinyl, several Christian record companies attempted and often succeeded in releasing artists who were edgy, creative, and original; these included Narrowpath Records, Broken Records, Exit Records, Alarma Records and Solid Rock Records. However, the Christian industry had started to stagnate artistically when Michael Knott released long awaited albums from his two main bands, LSU and Lifesavers. Blonde Vinyl signed bands with styles that were viable in the underground of the general market but rarely found their way into the Christian market—old school punk, garage rock, grunge, gothic, EBM/industrial, synthpop/house, spoken word, acoustic pop. These were styles which were not nearly as popular at the time as they are now. Blonde Vinyl opened the way for the more profitable Tooth and Nail Records.
Blonde Vinyl folded in 1993 when its distributor, Spectra Distribution, went bankrupt. After bankruptcy, Michael Knott attempted to resurrect Blonde Vinyl Records under the name of Siren Records. Siren only managed two releases before they also went bankrupt. The two releases for Siren records were World Tour by LSU Cash in Chaos and Beautiful Dazzling Music No. 1 by Rainbow Rider (Dance House Children). Following the failure of Siren, Knott went on to found the general market band Aunt Bettys.
Three sub-labels were created to further classify the diverse musical styles that were being released on Blonde Vinyl: Voice of the Youth, SLAVA Music, and Blonde Vinyl Inspirational.
Voice of the Youth was created for the edgier alternative releases on Blonde Vinyl. Six albums were released under this imprint: product # bvcd 3482 (love gift) by Breakfast with Amy, Go, Fluffy, Go! by Fluffy, Screaming Brittle Siren by Michael Knott, The Grape Prophet by L.S. Underground, Plague of Ethyls, and As Blue as the State Allows by Sass O' Frass Tunic.
SLAVA Music existed as an underground industrial music-focused label before joining with Blonde Vinyl for distribution. Three albums were released under this imprint: Digital Priests - the remixes by Deitiphobia, Revelation 1921 by Wigtop, and the SLAVA compilation.
Blonde Vinyl Inspirational was created for praise and worship music. The only release on this imprint was Quiet Assurance by N Side Out.
- Acoustic Shack
- Black and White World
- Black Carnation
- Breakfast With Amy
- Dance House Children
- Dead Artist Syndrome
- Hounds of Heaven
- Idle Lovell
- Love Life (band)
- Lust Control
- Michael Knott
- N Side Out
- Plague of Ethyls
- Sass O'Frass Tunic
- Scaterd Few
- Shelley Rogers
- Sincerely Paul (2 of the Original Band members of S.P. are in the band SLIDE)
- Steve Scott
- Tribe of Dan
- Veil of Ashes
- Windy Lyre
- Writ On Water
- Blonde Vinyl Teaser I (BVCD007 - 1991)
- Blonde Vinyl Teaser II / Food for Thought (BVCD0072 - 1991)
- SLAVA Compilation - Voice of the People (BVCD3442 - 1992)
- Radioactive Hits: The Definitive Blonde Vinyl Collection (84418-885-1 - 1993)
- Powell, Mark Allan (2002). "Michael Knott". Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music (First printing ed.). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers. pp. 498–501. ISBN 1-56563-679-1.
- Brown, Bruce A. (August 1993). "On The Beat: Rock / Alternative". CCM Magazine 16 (2): 14. ISSN 1524-7848.
- Powell (2002). "Aunt Bettys". Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. p. 57.
- Scaterd Few recorded Jawboneofanass for Blonde Vinyl, but due to the company's demise it was never released. Powell (2002). "Scaterd Few". Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. pp. 794–795.
- Ervin, Kathleen A. (August 1991). "California Dreaming: New Labels Share Common Goals". CCM Magazine 14 (2): 11–12. ISSN 1524-7848.
- Discogs: Blonde Vinyl
- CMA: Blonde Vinyl
- Tribute site
- Michael Knott's home page
- Blonde Vinyl page on the Michael Knott tribute site
- Writ on Water
- Lust Control
- Massivivid featuring members of Deitiphobia
Sincerely Paul (who are now SLIDE: www.SlideMusicGroup.com) </gallery>