Blood Indian Reserve No. 148
|• Chief||Charles Weasel Head|
|• Governing body||Kainai Nation|
|• Total||1,413.87 km2 (545.90 sq mi)|
|• Density||3.0/km2 (8/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Blood 148 is an Indian reserve in Alberta, Canada. It is inhabited by the Blood (Kainai) First Nations and was established under the provisions of the Treaty 7. This reserve is located in Stand Off along Highway 2 and the Belly River.
At 1,413.87 km2 (545.90 sq mi), this is the largest reserve in Canada, and the second most populous. It is located between the City of Lethbridge and the Town of Cardston, bordering the Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 to the northwest, the Lethbridge County to the northeast and Cardston County to the east, south and southwest.
In 2006, Blood 148 had a population of 4,177 living in 1,250 dwellings, an 8.4% increase from 2001. The Indian reserve has a land area of 1,413.87 km2 (545.90 sq mi) and a population density of 3.0/km2 (7.8/sq mi). As of December 2013, Blood 148 had a total registered population of 11,791
Under the British North America Act, legislative authority over Indian reserves is placed exclusively with the national parliament and specifically the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development. The reserve is governed by a tribal council led by Chief Charles Weasel Head (2004–present).
Blood Tribe Councillors (2012–present)
- Mike Bruised Head
- Dorothy First Rider
- Marcel Weasel Head
- Lance Tailfeathers
- Dexter Bruised Head
- Franklyn White Quills
- Frank Black Plume
- Myron Eagle Speaker
- Al Black Water
- Billy Wadsworth
- Nolan Little Bear
- Kyla Crow
- Statistics Canada (Census 2006). "Blood 148 - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-09-24. Check date values in:
- Canada Indian and Northern Affairs. "First Nations in Alberta". Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- Blood Tribe registered population - AANDC - http://pse5-esd5.ainc-inac.gc.ca/fnp/Main/Search/FNRegPopulation.aspx?BAND_NUMBER=435&lang=eng
- Blood Tribe Chief and Council web page - http://www.bloodtribe.org/content/chief-and-council
- Blood Tribe. "Council". Retrieved 2007-09-24.
- "Chief and Council". Blood Tribe. Retrieved February 8, 2014.