Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Peter Masterson|
|Produced by||Judd Bernard
|Screenplay by||Ron Cutler|
Francesca De Sapio
|Music by||Carmine Coppola|
|Editing by||Randy D. Thornton|
|Distributed by||Nelson Entertainment (VHS)|
|Running time||91 min.
|Box office||$15,510 (Domestic)|
Blood Red is a 1989 American Western drama film directed by Peter Masterson and starring Eric Roberts, Giancarlo Giannini, Burt Young, Lara Harris and Dennis Hopper. It was filmed in 1986, but released three years later.
Set in the 1890s, the story centers around the life of a Sicilian family, the Collogeros, living in California and working in the winemaking business, and their confrontation with a powerful railroad and land baron named William Bradford Berrigan (Hopper), who is after their lands and the ones that belong to the other families in the area. Berrigan's plan is to get control of the properties in order to build a new railroad. When the conflict escalates, he murders the patriarch of the family, Sebastian Collogero (Giannini), and in response, his son Marco (Roberts) claims for justice. With the help of his family and others, he starts an open guerrilla war against Berrigan.
- Eric Roberts as Marco Collogero
- Giancarlo Giannini as Sebastian Collogero
- Dennis Hopper as William Bradford Berrigan
- Burt Young as Andrews
- Susan Anspach as Widow
- Julia Roberts as Maria Collogero
- Carlin Glynn as Miss Jeffreys
- Lara Harris as Angelica
- Joseph Runningfox as Samuel Joseph
- Al Ruscio as Antonio Segestra
- Michael Madsen as Enzio
- Elias Koteas as Johnny O'Reilly
- Marc Lawrence as Michael Fazio
- Frank Campanella as Dr. Scola
- Aldo Ray as Father Stassio
- Kevin Cooney as Major Riggs
- "Blood Red". Box Office Mojo. Box Office Mojo. August 18, 1989. Retrieved August 8, 2012.