Bloodlines (Mead novel)
Cover of Bloodlines
|Cover artist||Emilian Gregory
|August 23, 2011|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)
|Followed by||The Golden Lily|
Bloodlines is the first book in the spin-off series of the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. It follows the story of narrator Sydney Sage, the alchemist who helped Rose in Blood Promise, Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice.
The book was released on August 23, 2011.
After helping rogue Dhampir Rose Hathaway evade justice, Sydney Sage's situation with the Alchemists is shaky at best. Her career is jeopardized, to the point where she may have to undergo re-education. Woken in the middle of the night, Sydney is given a last chance: to pose as the older sister of Jill Dragomir (illegitimate sister of the Queen Vasilisa) at a boarding school in Palm Springs, California.
Sydney and Adrian 'set' Jill up with him – but despite her interest in Lee, Jill is upset with Sydney interfering in her love life. The group goes mini-golfing, and Sydney is freaked out when Jill (a water-user) uses magic on a waterfall.
Knowing Adrian's wishes, she instead asks that Adrian be given the apartment in exchange for his assistance in the research into spirit users and Strigoi. Sydney instead requests her own dorm room on campus, allowing her to continue to watch Jill. Back at school, Sydney confronts her teacher about the amulet, and the teacher confesses she had known about vampires all along. as well as Alchemists. She believes that Sydney has an innate magical ability, and it was that ability that gave the amulet its power.
Abe Mazur, Rose's father, arrives with Jill's new roommate – a Dhampir named Angeline who Sydney met while on the run with Rose the previous year. Adrian realizes that Abe has been keeping a close eye on Palm Springs because of Nevermore – and that Abe himself is likely trafficking vampire blood as well. Abe, in turn, reveals to Adrian that the reason Sydney had been forced to obey his commands was that Sydney had contracted him for an attack on Keith that left him with a glass eye – retribution for Keith's rape of her sister.
- Sydney Sage – an Alchemist and the main protagonist of the Bloodlines series
- Adrian Ivashkov – a royal Moroi Spirit user who was once Rose Hathaway's boyfriend
- Jill Mastrano – Vasilisa Dragomir's half-sister and a water user, bonded to Adrian
- Eddie Castile – Jill's Guardian
- Lee Donahue – Clarence Donahue's son
- Keith Darnell – the Palm Springs Alchemist, in charge of supervising Sydney
- Micah Vallence – Jill's classmate at Amberwood
- Abe Mazur – Rose Hathaway's father
- Laurel – Jill's rival
- Clarence Donahue – a Moroi in Palm Springs
- Vampire Academy, the series preceding Bloodlines
- "Richelle Mead's new series 'Bloodlines' cover reveal – EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- 'Vampire Academy' Breaking News: Spin-Off Series Coming Soon!
- "Five Reasons to Love Richelle Mead". Seattle PI. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "'Bloodlines': The Reviews Are In For Richelle Mead's 'Vampire Academy' Spin-Off!". MTV. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Review: Bloodlines". RT Book Reviews. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Mead's new vampire spinoff manages to stand apart". UT San Diego. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bloodlines (Mead novel)|