Bloomington High School North
|Bloomington High School North
|3901 N. Kinser Pike
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
|Type||Public high school|
|Established||August 1, 1972|
|School district||Monroe County Community School Corporation|
|Principal||Jeffery M. Henderson|
|Number of students||1,565|
Bloomington High School North (often referred to as BHSN or simply North) is a comprehensive four-year public high school located in the northern part of Bloomington, Indiana, United States and is accredited by the Indiana State Department of Public Instruction and the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Preliminary data for the 2006-2007 academic year shows BHSN has an enrollment of 1565 students, which are fed predominantly by Tri-North Middle School as well as Batchelor Middle School, Jackson Creek Middle School, St. Charles School, Harmony School, Lighthouse Christian Academy, and Pinnacle School.
It operates on a block schedule with students taking four 85-minute courses on some days and four 85-minute courses on the alternating days. The curriculum includes over 140 different course offerings and allows students to design academic programs to meet their individual needs. Graduation requirements are based on work completed in grades nine through twelve. Accelerated programs enable students to complete high school requirements in seven semesters. Special features of the curriculum include AP and Accelerated Learning courses, vocational/technical training, work-study programs, interdisciplinary studies, and independent study.
Bloomington High School North is noted for its academic achievement in several areas. It has consistently ranked in the 95th percentile in ACT, PSAT and SAT scores, well above the Indiana state average. Its Advanced Placement program is above the state average, with 76% of students earning a score of 3 or above in 2004 and students chosen as Advanced Placement Scholars each year. Many seniors choose to take courses at Indiana University, with some courses taught by BHSN faculty during the day. The average percentage of students who pass the ISTEP English and Math state-mandated assessments for NCLB has been above the Indiana state average since at least 2000.
During the 2005-2006 school year, the school's students showcased their talents and abilities throughout the state and nation:
- In science: state champion in Science Olympiad for eight out of the past ten years. The team won 10th place in the 2008 National Science Olympiad competition at George Washington University in Washington D.C.
- In music: Advanced Jazz Ensemble named Honor Band at Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, Symphonic Band third in state at ISMAA competition. In 2006 the Marching Band placed 5th at the state level.
- In art: Gold and Silver Keys at Indiana Scholastic Art competition, Scholastic American Vision Award Nominee, and student Exhibitor in the National Society of Arts and Letters Competition.
The school is known for its eclectic student body, composed of students from many nations around the world. Students are active with performing arts opportunities in Bloomington, including the Rhino's Music Club and the Bloomington Playwrights Project. The school's service learning programs include cadet teaching, community service, and internship opportunities for seniors. The school's service organizations and student clubs are active fundraisers. The school's Habitat for Humanity chapter co-sponsored and built its ninth house in nine years house for Habitat for Humanity, the only high school in the nation to accomplish this undertaking.
Bloomington North's Music Program is known to be one of the best music programs in Indiana. The Music Program includes the Bloomington High School North Cougar Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Advanced Jazz, Wind Ensemble, Studio Jazz, Advanced Concert Band, Beginning Concert Band, Intermediate Jazz, Beginning Jazz, and Orchestra. Bloomington North also offers a variety of style in their music program, especially in the choral program with three different choirs; Vocal Jazz, Intermediate, and Advanced. All three choirs have a variety of styles from, Jazz to Broadway tunes. Recently the Marching Band has placed 9th twice in 2008 and 2009 and 5th in 2006 at ISSMA Marching Band State Finals in Indianapolis and the Symphonic Band placed 4th in 2010 at the ISSMA Concert Band State Finals. The Symphonic Band also traveled to Chattanooga, Tennessee to participate in the National Adjudicators Invitational, where they placed first.
Bloomington North has a new black box theater and a refurbished auditorium. Recent theatrical productions have included My Fair Lady, A Christmas Carol, You Can't Take It With You, West Side Story, The Dining Room, The Fantasticks, Damn Yankees, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, The Pajama Game, & Anything Goes. The theater director's students also perform as Living Statues each fall at the Bloomington Farmers' Market.
In the fall of 2009, North put on one of the most successful plays in recent years, Rumors By Neil Simon. It sold out three shows and with the overwhelming amount of popularity of the play, it had to put on an extra show on a Monday, which also was a sell out. The cast included senior James Halpin, juniors Sam Buehler, Lily Walls, Emily Kathman, and Gray Stephenson, sophomores Korinne Dunn, Ben Williams, and Lucy Farmer, and freshman Grace Herndon. "Rumors" was directed by new North theater teacher, Jennifer Hartz, while the regular teacher, Francesca Sober, was on a sabbatical.
Bloomington North High School was awarded the 1980 National Cross Country Championship through the XC Legacy series published through Milesplit.us in an effort to begin filling in the national rankings from 1980-1988. The Harrier Magazine, operated by Marc Bloom formerly of Runners World Magazine began keeping official rankings in 1989. "At the state xc championships Bloomington North annihilated the field with an impressive 34-149 point showing over defending state champion Carmel," Carmel would rebound the following two years to claim the 1981 & 1982 National crowns. "A team who stormed through Indiana in epic fashion culminating in a state championship in which they would average 15:13 for 5000 meters with a 32 second 1-5 spread. The top four were perhaps the best 1-4 spread in US history, Marty Bassett and Keith Sharpless were individual title favorites with Jeff Grove competing against the top runner from any team in the state." "Our average 5k time of 15:12.7 for the top 5 runners remains, to this day, the fastest average 5k time ever run by a high school team in a state meet."
Cheerleading The Bloomington High School North cheerleading team won a national championship at the 2010 National High School Cheerleading Championship in Orlando, Florida. The team has also placed third, fifth, seventh, and ninth at this national competition in past years.
Sports & Extra-Curricular Activities at BHSN
In the 2005-2006 school year, BHSN earned several athletic honors, including:
- Five sectional championships in Boy's Soccer, Girl's Volleyball, Girl’s Tennis, Girl’s Cross Country, Girl’s Track
- Three regional championships in Boy’s Soccer, Girl’s Cross Country, and Girl’s Track
- Two semi-state championships in Boy’s Soccer and Girl’s Tennis.
Girls Cross Country
- 12 Sectional Championships (16th most in Indiana history)
- 8 Regional Championships (14th most in Indiana history)
- 1 Semi-State Championship
- 1 Individual State Champion 1991-92
- 1 Individual State Runner-Up 1988-89
Boys Cross Country
- 17 Sectional Championships (19th most in Indiana history)
- 15 Regional Championships (6th most in Indiana history)
- 14 Semi-State Championship (2nd most in Indiana history)
- 1 Team State Championship 1980-81
- 1 Individual State Runner-Up 1981-82
Girls Track & Field
- 16 Sectional Championships (14th most in Indiana history)
- 7 Regional Championships (8th most in Indiana history)
- 5 Individual State Champions
Boys Track & Field
- 17 Sectional Championships (35th most in Indiana history)
- 9 Regional Championships (12th most in Indiana history)
- 6 Individual State Champions
- 1 Team State Runner-Up 1975-76
- 1 Team State Championship 1976-77
BHSN has also won multiple individual state championship in wrestling.
The school tries to assist its students and the guidance counselors and social workers are trained to offer the following support services:
- Grief Group,
- HELP (Heritage and Environmental Learning),
- ISG (Internation Student Group),
- SAVE (Students Against Violent Acts),
- TAP (Tobacco Awareness),
- US (United Students, the school GSA)
- ESAHG (Eliminate Surplus Amount Of Hicks Group)
- MIBAG (Marijuana Is Bad Awareness Group)
Cougar Wall of Fame
In 2006, the BHSN parent organization Cougars for Better Education, which was founded 10 years prior, started the Cougar Wall of Fame, with nomination by application, which recognizes and honors alumni of BHS North and the schools that consolidated into BHS North upon opening in 1972.
- Joshua Bell, professional violinist
- Daniel Biss, Illinois House of Representatives member
- Kueth Duany, ABA player for the Buffalo Silverbacks
- Jared Jeffries, NBA player for the New York Knicks
- Pat Knight, head coach of Lamar Cardinals men's basketball team
- Sean May, professional basketball player
- Matthew Serfling, Adult Entertainer
- Terry Stotts, head coach for the Portland Trailblazers
- Mario Wuysang, professional basketball player
- 1980 National Cross County Championship Team Photo
- "Bloomington North HS, Bloomington, IN: Undefeated National Champions". www.xcnation.com. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "NHSCA National Cross Country Team Rankings". MileSplit.us.
- "IHSAA Girls Cross Country". Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Article for BHSN on Bloomingpedia
- Bloomington High School North ALUMNI
- Bloomington High School North ALUMNI donated Limestone Signs