|Origin||San Antonio, Texas, U.S.|
|Genres||Progressive metal, technical death metal, instrumental|
|Associated acts||Behold... the Arctopus, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, Spastic Ink, WatchTower, Obscura|
|Past members||Derek Roddy
Blotted Science is an instrumental technical death metal supergroup headed by Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink), bassist Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and drummer Hannes Grossmann (Obscura, ex-Necrophagist). They started out under the name Machinations of Dementia, but after the departure of drummer Chris Adler, the band changed their name to Blotted Science.
In 2005 Ron Jarzombek contacted drummer Chris Adler (Lamb of God) and bassist Alex Webster about a possible collaboration, with the goal of taking Jarzombek's signature left-of-center progressive metal approach into a much heavier, more extreme realm. Although the addition of a vocalist was briefly considered, the trio ultimately decided to remain an all-instrumental band. However, Adler had to bow out due to his demanding schedule with Lamb of God but would collaborate with Jarzombek on the song ‘The Near Dominance of 4 Against 5’ which appeared on Magna Carta Records’s ‘Drum Nation Vol. 3’ compilation in 2006.
Adler's replacement was Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal, Nile) and, at the suggestion of Webster, the band took on the name Machinations of Dementia. Roddy left the group in August 2006. Shortly thereafter, Jarzombek was introduced to Charlie Zeleny, who would provide the missing drum tracks in a matter of weeks. The band, now known as Blotted Science, released their debut album, The Machinations of Dementia, in the fall of 2007 on Jarzombek's EclecticElectric label. The album was also licensed to Marquee/Avalon for the territory of Japan where it was released on June 22, 2011.
In September 2010, Ron Jarzombek announced plans for a new Blotted Science EP consisting of seven songs totaling 24 minutes of music, with a tentative release date of early 2011. He also confirmed that the band would be utilizing the services of German drummer Hannes Grossmann in place of Charlie Zeleny on the recording. Grossmann and Jarzombek also collaborated in the one-off project Terrestrial Exiled whose digital only single 'Duodecimal Levorotation' was released in May 2011.
In late July 2011, a 2-minute video teaser was posted on the band's YouTube channel and an October 4, 2011 release date announced for the EP, titled The Animation of Entomology. The band signed a license deal with UK-based Basick Records for the territory of Europe where the EP was released on November 28, 2011.
In late April 2013 it was announced that both Blotted Science titles were scheduled for limited edition release on vinyl via Florida-based Antithetic Records with a street date of May 21, 2013.
- The Machinations of Dementia (2007)
- The Animation Of Entomology EP (2011)
- "WatchTower guitarist teams up with Lamb of God drummer for 'Drum Nation Vol. 3' CD".
- "Hate Eternal drummer joins forces with WatchTower, Cannibal Corpse members".
- "Blotted Science parts ways with drummer Derek Roddy; replacement announced".
- "'The Machinations of Dementia' release date announced".
- "Ron Jarzombek issues update on Blotted Science".
- "Blotted Science, Obscura, Spastic Ink Members Team Up For Terrestrial Exiled Single".
- "Blotted Science Post Teaser for New EP, 'The Animation Of Entomology'".
- "Blotted Science Signs European Deal With Basick Records".
- "Blotted Science - 'The Machinations Of Dementia', 'The Animation Of Entomology' Vinyl Releases Announced".
- Official Website
- Official Facebook page
- Official YouTube channel
- Official MySpace
- LotFP interview w/ Ron Jarzombek (2008)
- Ultimate-Guitar.com interview w/ Ron Jarzombek (2008)
- BassPlayer.com interview w/ Alex Webster (2008)