|At Walsrode Bird Park, Germany|
The blue-naped parrot (Tanygnathus lucionensis), also known as the blue-crowned green parrot, Luzon parrot, the Philippine green parrot, and locally known as pikoy, is a parrot found throughout the Philippines including the Talaud Islands and islands off north and east Borneo (with introduced population in Borneo itself, e.g. Kota Kinabalu). It is a medium size parrot (31 cm), primarily green except for a light blue rear crown and nape, pale blue lower back and rump, scalloped shoulders with orange-brown on black coverts, and blackish underwings with green underwing coverts.
It is found in secondary forest, forest edge and plantations up to 1000 m. Flock size is usually under a dozen. They feed on mangoes, berries, seeds, nuts and grain. Habitat loss and trapping have made them scarce on most islands except Mindoro and Palawan. Though the Katala Foundation has raised concerns over the increasing illegal trade of this bird on Palawan.
There are currently three recognized subspecies. Others are now generally considered invalid.
- T. l. lucionensis: Luzon and Mindoro
- T. l. hybridus: Polillo Islands. Blue on crown less extensive, tinged with violet. More green on wing coverts.
- T. l. talautensis (T. l. salvadorii is recognized instead by some authorities on Philippine birds citing Kenneth C. Parkes' 1971 Nemouria publication): Rest of range. No blue on lower back, plumage less yellow.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Tanygnathus lucionensis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Philippine Explorer 15 Sept 2008: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/philippineexplorer/philippineexplorer/view/20080915-160808/Looming-Extinction-for-Palawan-Wildlife
- Dickinson, E.C., R.S. Kennedy and K.C. Parkes (1991). The birds of the Philippines: An annotated check-list. British Ornithologists' Union Check-list No. 12.
- Juniper, T. and M. Parr (1998). Parrots: A Guide to Parrots of the World. Yale University Press, New Haven and London; ISBN 0-300-07453-0.
- Kennedy, R.S., P.C. Gonzales, E.C. Dickinson, H.C. Miranda, Jr., and T.H. Fisher (2000). A Guide to the Birds of the Philippines. Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York; ISBN 0-19-854668-8.
- Oriental Bird Images: Blue-naped parrot Selected photos