Blue Cliff Monastery
|Blue Cliff Monastery|
Dining Hall and Meditation Hall
|Denomination||Order of Interbeing
Lam Te Dhyana
|Founder(s)||Thich Nhat Hanh|
|Address||3 Mindfulness Way
Pine Bush, NY 12566
The monastery is under the direction of Thich Nhat Hanh's Order of Interbeing in the Vietnamese Zen tradition. Blue Cliff Monastery follows the same practices and daily schedules as its root monastery Plum Village and its sister monasteries Deer Park Monastery in Escondido, California and Magnolia Village Practice Center in Batesville, Mississippi.
Blue Cliff Monastery was created when the monastics moved from Maple Forest Monastery and the Green Mountain Dharma Center. In 1997 Maple Forest Monastery was founded in Woodstock, Vermont and a year later Green Mountain Dharma Center was founded in Hartland, Vermont. Maple Forest was the monks' residence and Green Mountain was the nuns' residence. On May 2007 both centers moved to Blue Cliff Monastery.
The Monastery is located in the lush green Hudson Valley of New York (one hour and 30 minutes away from NYC). Inside the property there are two ponds and a creek, and out of its 80 acres 65 are forest. Visitors are welcome to practice mindfulness with the fourfold community of monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen. Typically days of mindfulness are held twice a week (Thursdays and Sundays). Retreats are held frequently throughout the year.
- Buddhism in the United States
- Buddhist monasticism
- List of Buddhist temples
- Timeline of Zen Buddhism in the United States
- Plum Village
- International Sangha Directory – United States – Blue Cliff Monastery. Plumvillage.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery, Pine Bush | Wellness centre in Walker Valley, New York. Wahanda. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Boston Old Path Sangha of the Community of Mindful Living – In the lineage of Thich Nhat Hanh – community. Bostonoldpath.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Our Teacher - Blue Cliff Monastery. Bluecliffmonastery.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- About us. magnoliavillage.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Queen, Christopher. "Engaged Buddhism in the West", Wisdom Publications, 2000, p.62
- Unified Buddhist Church — Deer Park Monastery. deerparkmonastery.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Parallax Press – Thich Nhat Hanh Retreat Centers, Unified Buddhist Church. Parallax.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery People of Color Retreat 10.22.2010. Urban Refuge. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery | Still Mountain: A Guide to Retreats. Stillmountainretreatguide.com (2010-02-21). Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- "About Blue Cliff Monastery" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- Events. Clear Heart Sangha (2011-02-23). Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Thich Nhat Hanh :: Mindfulness Retreats. Tnhtour.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.