Blue Like Jazz (film)
|Blue Like Jazz|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Steve Taylor|
|Produced by||Steve Taylor
J. Clark Gallivan
|Screenplay by||Donald Miller
|Story by||Donald Miller|
|Based on||Blue Like Jazz
by Donald Miller
|Music by||Danny Seim|
|Editing by||Matt Sterling|
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Running time||107 minutes|
Blue Like Jazz is a 2012 American comedy-drama film based on Donald Miller's semi-autobiographical book of the same name, directed by Steve Taylor. Miller, Taylor, and Ben Pearson co-wrote the screenplay. The film stars Marshall Allman, Claire Holt, and Tania Raymonde.
- Marshall Allman as Donald "Don" Miller
- Claire Holt as Penny
- Jason Marsden as Kenny
- Tania Raymonde as Lauryn
- Eric Lange as The Hobo
- Justin Welborn as The Pope
Steve Taylor pitched the film to investors for four years until two investors, one from Seattle and one from Los Angeles, agreed to sign on for $250,000 each. The day before pre-production, the Los Angeles investor backed out and the film was scratched. When Donald Miller posted on his personal blog that the film was to be cancelled, however, two readers from Tennessee announced that they would raise the remaining required funds by way of the Kickstarter website.
According to Yancey Strickler, one of the founders of Kickstarter, only six films have ever raised more than $100,000 through the website as of May 2011. Taylor didn't believe that this fundraising effort would work, so he agreed to personally call and thank every donator of more than $10 if they met the target goal of $125,000. By October 2010, $345,992 had been donated through the website towards the film. Considering so much money had been raised through Kickstarter, the backer from Seattle matched that amount and contributed even more. Taylor was able to shoot the film for $750,000 and have an extra $500,000 left for post-production.
By May 2011, Taylor had personally called and thanked half of the 3,300 people who donated more than $10 through Kickstarter. He had called the remainder by April 2012. Blue Like Jazz: The Movie was the second most successful Kickstarter fundraiser in 2010.
Miller's 2009 book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years is based on his experience of revising his memoir into the screenplay for this film.
Filming took place in Nashville, Tennessee and Portland, Oregon.
The film had its world premiere as an official selection of the South by Southwest Film Festival on March 13, 2012. It was released in theaters on April 13, 2012 through Roadside Attractions. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray on August 7, 2012 in the United States and Canada.
- Henry O. Arnold; Ben Pearson; Michael W. Smith (2009). Kabul 24. Thomas Nelson Inc. p. 282. ISBN 1-59555-022-4.
- Ira Boudway (May 26, 2011). "Kickstarter: Financing Small Movies Online". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- Mark Moring (May 25, 2011). "Our Film . . . Is an Awesome Film". Christianity Today. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Blue Like Jazz". Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "'Blue Like Jazz' to Premiere at Film Festival in Texas Before Nationwide Release, Christian News". Christianpost.com. March 10, 2012. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "Roadside Acquires 'Blue Like Jazz' Before SXSW Premiere". Indiewire. 2012-02-21. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Official website
- Blue Like Jazz at the Internet Movie Database
- Blue Like Jazz at allmovie
- Blue Like Jazz at Box Office Mojo
- Blue Like Jazz at Rotten Tomatoes
- Blue Like Jazz at Metacritic