Blue River Reservoir
|Blue River Reservoir|
|Location||Lane County, Oregon, about 42 miles (68 km) east of Springfield|
|Primary inflows||Blue River|
|Primary outflows||Blue River|
|Catchment area||88 sq mi (230 km2)|
|Max. length||6.4 mi (10.3 km)|
|Surface area||935 acres (378 ha), 1,420 acres (570 ha) when full|
|Average depth||91 ft (28 m)|
|Max. depth||248 ft (76 m)|
|Water volume||85,000 acre·ft (105,000,000 m3)|
|Residence time||3 months|
|Shore length1||17 miles (27 km)|
|Surface elevation||1,161 ft (354 m)|
|Settlements||Blue River, an unincorporated community|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Blue River Reservoir is an artificial impoundment, about 6 miles (10 km) long, of the Blue River in Lane County in the U.S. state of Oregon. The reservoir is about 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Oregon Route 126 in the Willamette National Forest about 45 miles (72 km) east of Eugene.
In 1968 the United States Army Corps of Engineers built Blue Lake Dam and Saddle Dam about 2 miles (3.2 km) from the mouth of the Blue River on the McKenzie River to create a reservoir for flood control and irrigation. Despite frequent blooms of blue-green algae, the lake is heavily used for recreation. Trout are the principal fish, supplemented from local hatcheries.
Blue River Reservoir is used for fishing, boating, swimming, and waterskiing. The United States Forest Service manages Mona Campground, on the north side of the reservoir, and Lookout Campground, on the northeast side. The Forest Service also manages two launching sites for motorized and non-motorized boats, one near Lookout Campground and the other near Saddle Dam on the south shore. The reservoir supports populations of native coastal cutthroat trout and stocked rainbow trout.
- Johnson, Daniel M.; Petersen, Richard R.; Lycan, D. Richard; Sweet, James W.; Neuhaus, Mark E., and Schaedel, Andrew L. (1985). Atlas of Oregon Lakes. Corvallis: Oregon State University Press. p. 157. ISBN 0-87071-343-4.
- "Willamette National Forest Lake Fishing: Blue River Reservoir". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- "Blue River Dam and Lake". U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Columbia Basin Water Management Division. May 31, 2002. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- "Blue River Reservoir Area". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- "Blue River Lake". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. May 22, 1986. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- "Blue River Lake and Cougar Lake, Oregon" (PDF). U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Portland District. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Russell, Michael (September 10, 2010). "Blue-Green Algae Found in Blue River Reservoir in Willamette National Forest". The Oregonian. Portland, Oregon. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- Stone, Christine (September 10, 2010). "Oregon Public Health Issues Advisory for Blue River Reservoir" (PDF). Oregon Department of Human Services, Oregon Health Authority. Retrieved February 14, 2011.