Blue Smoke (album)
|Studio album by Dolly Parton|
|Released||January 31, 2014|
|Dolly Parton chronology|
|Singles from Blue Smoke|
Blue Smoke the 42nd studio album by American country recording artist Dolly Parton. The album was released in Australia and New Zealand on January 31, 2014, and will be released in North America and Europe on May 20, 2014.
Parton mentioned working on a new album in July 2013. In December 2013, Parton announced that the album would be released through a partnership between Parton's Dolly Records and Sony Masterworks.
Blue Smoke features a duet with Kenny Rogers on "You Can't Make Old Friends," which was originally released on his 2013 album of the same name. The song debuted on the Billboard Country Airplay chart in December 2013 and reached a peak of number 57, becoming Parton's first chart entry since "Jesus and Gravity" peaked at number 56 in 2008. The album also includes a new recording of "From Here to the Moon and Back" with Willie Nelson, which was also on Nelson's 2013 album, To All the Girls.... Parton previously recorded and performed the song with Kris Kristofferson in Joyful Noise, and it was featured on the movie's soundtrack release. Blue Smoke also includes covers of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" and Bon Jovi's "Lay Your Hands on Me."
The Blue Smoke World Tour was officially announced on The Queen Latifah Show in October 21, 2013 where she performed a song from the album, "Miss You, Miss Me". In December 2013, Parton discussed the album and tour on Access Hollywood. The tour will serve as the main promotional vehicle behind the album. On April 14, 2014, Parton appeared on AXS TV's The Big Interview to discuss the album, tour, and other aspects of her career with Dan Rather. Parton also signed on to become one of the headlining acts of the Glastonbury Festival to promote the album in the United Kingdom.
The title track was released as a promo single ahead of the album release in Australia and New Zealand. On March 18, 2014 the single was released throughout the rest of the world via iTunes. It was also available for immediate download with pre-order of the album.
|1.||"Blue Smoke"||Dolly Parton||3:33|
|2.||"Unlikely Angel"||Dolly Parton||3:23|
|3.||"Don't Think Twice"||Bob Dylan||3:21|
|4.||"You Can't Make Old Friends" (duet with Kenny Rogers)||Ryan Hanna King, Don Schlitz, Caitlyn Smith||3:57|
|5.||"Home"||Dolly Parton, Kent Wells||3:22|
|6.||"Banks of the Ohio"||Traditional||3:48|
|7.||"Lay Your Hands on Me"||Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora||4:13|
|8.||"Miss You, Miss Me"||Dolly Parton||4:00|
|9.||"If I Had Wings"||Dolly Parton||4:06|
|10.||"Lover du Jour"||Dolly Parton||4:11|
|11.||"From Here to the Moon and Back" (duet with Willie Nelson)||Dolly Parton||4:02|
|Walmart bonus tracks|
|13.||"Get Up Get On Get Out"||Dolly Parton|
|14.||"Olive Branch"||Dolly Parton|
|15.||"Early Morning Breeze"||Dolly Parton|
|16.||"Angels in the Midst"||Dolly Parton|
|Australia||January 31, 2014||CD, digital download||Dolly Records/Sony Masterworks|
|North America||May 13, 2014||CD, digital download||Dolly Records/Sony Masterworks|
|Australian Albums (ARIA Charts)||7|
|Australian Country Albums (ARIA Charts)||1|
|New Zealand Albums (New Zealand Chart)||1|
- Watts, Cindy (23 August 2013). "Dolly Parton plans new album and tour". The Tennessean. Gannett Company. Archived from the original on 22 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Dolly's "Blue Smoke" Album To be Released By Sony Masterworks". DollyPartonMusic.net. December 9, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "New Signings: CAA Signs Pusha T, Dolly Parton Joins Sony Masterworks, Disney Music Publishing Inks Jess Cates". Billboard. December 24, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Brandle, Lars (21 October 2013). "Dolly Parton's 'Blue Smoke World Tour' to Visit Australia". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on 22 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Dolly Parton Dishes On Blue Smoke & World Tour". Access Hollywood. December 9, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Lewis, Randy (29 October 2013). "Dolly Parton talks 'Blue Smoke' album, tour, Imagination Library". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Archived from the original on 22 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Dolly Parton to Open Up to Dan Rather in Hour-Long Interview". The Boot. April 3, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Glastonbury lines up more big acts". The Independent. April 6, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Single Review: Dolly Parton – ‘Blue Smoke’". Renowned For Sound. December 18, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2014.