Blue Riband (disambiguation)
Blue Riband may refer to:
- The Blue Riband, an award held by the ship with the record for a transatlantic crossing
- Blue Riband (biscuits), chocolate biscuits made by Nestlé and sold in the United Kingdom and Ireland
- Bluer Riband gin, a popular Indian gin made by United Spirits Limited.
- The Blue Riband Trial Stakes a flat horse race in the United Kingdom for three-year-old thoroughbreds
- "The Blue Riband," English translation by Benjamin Thorpe (1853) of the folktale from Marne, Germany, published as "Der blaue Band" by Müllenhoff.
Blue Riband may be used to describe the most prestigious race or sub-category in or of a particular sport.
In the summer Olympics, they currently are:
- In athletics, the Men's 100m running.
- In rowing, the Men's Eights, raced over 2000m.
- In swimming, 100m freestyle.
Examples in other sports/events:
- In the sport of athletics the blue riband distance is traditionally the men's 1500m (or mile) although more recently the men's 100m sprint is regarded by broadcasters as the main event.
- In cycling the blue riband is the Tour de France.
- In swimming the blue riband events are considered to be the 100 and 200 metres freestyle.
- In kayaking and canoeing championships the blue riband race is the men's K1 1000m.
- In the rowing World Championships, the blue riband event is the Men's Eights, raced over 2000m. At Henley Royal Regatta, the blue riband event is the Grand Challenge Cup, for Men's Eights, usually competed by National Squad eights.
- In motorsport, the Monaco Grand Prix remains the blue riband race on the Formula One motor-racing calendar due to its historical significance, tight and difficult nature, and glamorous location.
- In a Musical Eisteddfod, the blue riband is the most prestigious singing prize awarded to classical soloists.
In addition the term has become synonymous with premium quality or prestige outside of the sporting arena, particularly in the USA. However the contemporary version blue ribbon is more prevalent in this context.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.