||This article is incomplete. (August 2014)|
|Headquarters||Provo, Utah, USA|
|Key people||Matt Heaton
(Founder, CEO 1996-2011)
|Owners||Endurance International Group|
Bluehost is a web hosting company owned by Endurance International Group. It is one of the 20 largest web hosts, collectively hosting well over 1.9+ million domains with its sister companies, HostMonster, FastDomain and iPage.
Bluehost was among those studied in the analysis of web-based hosting services in collaborative online learning programs.
In 2009, BlueHost introduced a new feature to all customers – CPU throttling. CPU throttling (at BlueHost and similar hosting services) simply refers to the process of reducing user’s CPU usage in whenever the particular user is pulling “too much” server resources at one time. At that particular time, BlueHost would freeze (or drastically reduce) client sites' CPU usage substantially. This effectively shut down clients' websites hosted on the BlueHost server for several hours throughout the day.
In 2010, BlueHost was acquired by Endurance International Group.
On June 12, 2011 company founder Matt Heaton announced on his blog that he was stepping down as CEO to focus on the company hosting platform's design and technical structure. Company COO Dan Handy would take over as CEO.
In 2013, Bluehost now offers VPS and Dedicated server hosting.
In March 2009, Bluehost appeared in a Newsweek article that condemned the hosting company for censoring the web pages of some of their customers who were believed to be citizens of countries that the US Government had listed as rogue states.
In February 2011, Bluehost took down a religious website that they were hosting on its servers after receiving thousands of complaints when that website posted comments blaming gays and lesbians for an earthquake in New Zealand.
- Web Hosting (2013), Blue Host Web Hosting, Web Hosting Raters, retrieved 21 November 2013
- Top 100 Largest Web Hosting companies in the world – 20.6% Market Share « ManagedFTP – WebHost, ISP and SaaS Industry Blog
- M Rodriguez, HJ Huang, M Merrill, Analysis of web based hosting services in collaborative online learning programs
- Heaton, Matt (12 June 2011). "It's been a blast!!! Now its time to move on...". MattHeaton.com. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Introducing Next-Gen VPS and Dedicated Hosting". Bluehost.com. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Morozov, Evgeny (6 March 2007). "U.S. Web Firms Practice Self-Censorship". News Week. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Wen Hosting Review Board (2013), Web Hosting Tolls, ISBN 978-1-4251-3374-0, retrieved 15 February 2014
- Lee, Justin (2011-02-28). "Web Host BlueHost Pulls Anti-Gay Website Following Complaints". Web Host Industry Review (iNET Interactive). Retrieved 2011-10-26.