|Origin||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Genres||CCM, worship, rock, electronica|
|Labels||Bluetree Worship, Integrity|
Bluetree is a Northern Irish contemporary Christian band. The band is best known for its song "God of This City", which received international exposure when it was covered by Chris Tomlin on the Passion: God of This City and Hello Love albums. As an independent artist, Bluetree signed distribution agreements with Lucid Entertainment in the USA and Kingsway in the UK & Europe for their album, God of this City.
Bluetree originated in Belfast's Christian Fellowship Church (CFC) in 2004. According to lead singer, Aaron Boyd, Bluetree was born out of frustration. "I was frustrated with the idea that worship is only to do with your heart. I don't really agree with that. It's bigger than just your heart attitude towards something. Like the idea that music can be secondary and as long as you love Jesus, that's fine! I don't think that's right." Bluetree originally consisted of five members, with Pete Kernoghan joining later. While the band was travelling on a missions trip to Pattaya, Thailand, the poor conditions of the city became the inspiration for their song, "God of this City". Band members report the song came from divine inspiration when the band was playing in a bar. As an independent band, they recorded their debut album, Greater Things, at the Windmill Lane Studios (U2's preferred studio). The record was initially released in September 2007, but on 24 January 2008, their album was picked up by Fierce! Records for UK Distribution. In May 2009 the band launched their charity "Stand Out International", a charity that indirectly rescues kids out of the sex industry, and also had their first album released in North America as "God of This City". In 2013, the charity was relaunched in the US under the name Bluetree Worship, a US 501(c)(3) non-profit.
Bluetree have a Dove Award nomination from 2009 for "God of This City".
Bluetree's second studio album "Kingdom" began production in Liverpool's Parr Street Studios in April 2011, and was digitally released on 8 May 2012 with a small-scale US CD release in June.
In 2013 two live projects were released. The first was recorded in 2010 between their first two studio albums, with all funds raised going toward their mission and justice work trip to Cambodia with Ratanak in November 2013. The second was recorded at the Super Summer camp in June 2013 and features guest and fellow Northern Irishman, Nathan Jess.
2014 will see the release of Bluetree's first material with Integrity Media, having recently signed publishing and recording contracts. The first album under the contract was recorded in May 2014 with production by Michael Rossback and release due late summer. Bluetree's lead singer & founder, Aaron Boyd, regularly leads worship at his home church in Belfast, CFC.
- Current members
- Aaron Boyd - lead vocals, acoustic guitar, songwriter
- Peter Nickell - bass, keys & tracks
- Peter Burton - electric guitar
- Matt Weir - drums
- Former members
- Ian Jordan - key
- Andy McCann - bass
- Ricky Bleakley - guitar
- Pete Kernoghan - dj, loops
- Peter Comfort – drums
- Jonny Hobson - drums
- Connor McCrory - electric guitar
- Stephen Greer - electric guitar
|Year||Album details||Peak positions|
|2009||God of This City
|2013||Live: Mission Edition
|2013||Live In Oklahoma
|2014||Worship & Justice
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
Awards and accolades
- "Break out Artist of the Year" 2009 Worship Leader Magazine Readers Choice Awards USA
- "Song of the Year" 2009 Worship Leader Magazine Readers Choice awards USA
- Nominated as ‘Best New Artist’ - GMA Dove Awards 2010
- Greater Things - Cross Rhythms' 20 Best Albums of 2007
- "God of this City" - Cross Rhythms' 20 Best Songs of 2007
- A musical named after their hit song 'God Of This City' won a Dove Award for Youth/Children's Musical of the year at the 43rd annual GMA Dove Awards.
- Bluetree Interview
- Bluetree: Rock worshippers and one of the Greater Things to emerge from N. Ireland
- Irish Rockers Bluetree get UK Distribution by Fierce! Distribution
- New Album 'Kingdom' Expected From Bluetree In February
- Bluetree To Release New Album 'Worship & Justice' After Signing With Integrity Music
- The 20 Best Albums of 2007: According to Tony Cummings & Mike Rimmer
- The 20 Best Tracks Of 2007: According to Mike Rimmer and Tony Cummings