|Born||Bluey Les Hall
7 June 1910
|Died||14 November 1939 (aged 29 years, 160 days)
Rochester, Victoria, Australia
|Known for||Oldest dog ever until Lucky (?-2008)|
Bluey (7 June 1910 – 14 November 1939) was an Australian cattle dog owned by Les and Esma Hall of Rochester, Victoria, Australia, which, according to an anecdotal report, lived 29 years, 6 months and 12 days, but the record is unverified. Bluey held the world record for the oldest dog, according to Guinness World Records, who cite the anecdotal reports as being "reliable", until 3 August 2008, when Lucky took over.
Bluey's record age, along with that, also unverified, of an Australian Cattle Dog - Labrador mixed breed dog named "Chilla" reported to have lived to the age of 32 years and 12 days, prompted a study of the longevity of the Australian Cattle Dog to examine if the breed might have exceptional longevity. The 100-dog survey yielded a mean longevity of 13.41 years with a standard deviation of 2.36 years. The study concluded that while Australian Cattle Dogs are a healthy breed and do live on average almost a year longer than most dogs of other breeds in the same weight class, record ages such a Bluey's or Chilla's should be regarded as uncharacteristic exceptions rather than as indicators of common exceptional longevity for this entire breed.
- Entry for Canis familiaris. AnAge Database. Human Ageing Genomic Resources. Retrieved 17 July 2007.
- "Oldest dog". Guinness World Records. 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Knapton, Sarah (2008-09-08). "Oldest dog Bella the Labrador dies – aged 29". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- "The world's oldest dog dies at the age of 203 (in canine years)". London: Daily Mail. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- World's oldest pooch dies, Beaver County Times, 13 March 1984. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Lee, P. (2011). Longevity of the Australian Cattle Dog: Results of a 100-Dog Survey. ACD Spotlight, Vol. 4, Issue 1, Spring 2011, 96-105. http://www.acdspotlight.com/
- 2004 Guinness Book of World Records
|This Australia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This dog-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|