Bluff City, Tennessee
|Bluff City, Tennessee|
Location of Bluff City, Tennessee
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,450 ft (442 m)|
|• Density||1,155.3/sq mi (444.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1305320|
Bluff City is a city in Sullivan County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 1,733 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Kingsport–Bristol (TN)–Bristol (VA) Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is a component of the Johnson City–Kingsport–Bristol, TN-VA Combined Statistical Area – commonly known as the "Tri-Cities" region.
Bluff City underwent several name changes before incorporating on July 1, 1887 under its present name. The town was originally known as Choate’s Ford, and later took the name Middletown. After the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad was built, crossing the Holston River at the town site, the name Union was adopted. During the Civil War it was called Zollicoffer after Confederate General Felix Zollicoffer, but became Union again at the end of the war and until 1887.
Bluff City is located at (36.463352, -82.275049).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), of which 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (3.21%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,559 people, 662 households, and 450 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,029.2 people per square mile (398.6/km²). There were 728 housing units at an average density of 480.6 per square mile (186.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.52% White, 0.19% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.58% Asian, and 0.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.71% of the population.
There were 662 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.6% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.9% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 33.2% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 91.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,587, and the median income for a family was $36,938. Males had a median income of $26,422 versus $19,957 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,175. About 11.0% of families and 14.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.3% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Bluff City has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties, State of Tennessee official website, 14 July 2011. Retrieved: 6 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sullivan County, The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee (1887)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Climate Summary for Bluff City, Tennessee