Bob's Burgers (season 2)
|Bob's Burgers Season 2|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Original run||March 11, 2012– May 20, 2012|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||May 7, 2013|
The second season of the animated sitcom Bob's Burgers commenced airing on the Fox network in the United States on March 11, 2012 , and concluded on May 20, 2012 . The season was produced by Wilo Productions, Buck & Millie Productions and Bento Box Entertainment in association with 20th Century Fox Television, and is distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, along with its other seasons. Actors H. Jon Benjamin, John Roberts, Dan Mintz, Eugene Mirman and Kristen Schaal reprised their roles as Bob Belcher, Linda Belcher, Tina Belcher, Gene Belcher and Louise Belcher. These characters are all a part of the Belcher family, a nuclear family that run a hamburger restaurant, entitled Bob's Burgers.
FOX renewed the show for a second production cycle consisting of thirteen episodes on April 7, 2011, and picked up the back nine on October 31, 2011, bringing the cycle to a total of 22 episodes. Only nine of the episodes aired during the second season, with the remaining 13 episodes being held for the third season of the show.
Like the previous season, the second season aired in the competitive timeslot at 8:30 p.m. on Sundays. The season premiere, "The Belchies" obtained 4.04 million viewers in the United States. The season finale, "Beefsquatch" obtained 3.57 million viewers in the United States, slightly down from the season premiere. All of these ratings are measured by Nielsen ratings.
Bob's Burgers ended its second season with a per episode average of 4.18 million total viewers and a 2.3 ratings share in the 18–49 demographic. The season was generally well received by television critics, though most agreed that the second season was a considerable improvement over the first season of the series, particularly "Moody Foodie", "Burgerboss", and "Bob Day Afternoon". Rowan Kaiser of The A.V. Club claimed that "after an uneven start, Bob's Burgers is becoming one of television’s best comedies!".
Broadcast and reception
The second season of Bob's Burgers originally premiered on March 11, 2012 in the United States on the Fox network between 8:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., with "The Belchies", and obtained 4.04 million viewers in the United States. They are all of episodes which are part of Fox's Animation Domination television block. It was preceded by The Simpsons at 8:00 p.m., and was followed by Family Guy at 9:00 p.m. Most of episodes a part of this season are rated TV-14 on television in the United States. The season finale, "Beefsquatch", obtained 3.57 million viewers in the United States. It is its first new episode since 2011.
The second season of Bob's Burgers was well received by television critics, particularly "Moody Foodie", "Burgerboss", and "Bob Day Afternoon". It received a "78 out of 100" on aggregate site Metacritic. Rowan Kaiser of The A.V. Club claimed that "after an uneven start, Bob's Burgers is becoming one of television's best comedies!". Alan Sepinwall of HitFix claimed that "the season's first two episodes aren't as consistently funny as last spring's best outings, but they do a good job of showcasing both the style of Bob's Burgers and the deep roster of characters the show has already assembled". Sepinwall claimed that it was "strange, and I often like strange in my comedy, but at least initially, I didn't find it funny. But it was compelling in its weirdness — one early episode had the family becoming obsessed with the cow a protest filmmaker had parked outside their restaurant — and that kept me watching until the rest of the show clicked for me". Maureen Ryan of The Huffington Post stated that "an animated comedy that is propelled by a very strong voice cast and by its own daffy comedic momentum", and compared it to Breaking In. Chris Cabin of The Slant Magazine called the season "improbably poignant". Cabin also claimed that it "possesses an unmistakable love for underdogs and odd ducks". Clark Collis of Entertainment Weekly noted that "While the show's attempt to please different generations is sometimes more jarring than jocular, this episode does feature the best non sequitur gag you're ever likely to hear about the Parliament song "Aqua Boogie"".
The season was first broadcast on the Global Television Network in Canada on March 11, 2012, between 8:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., as part of the Animation Rules comedy television block. It has the same schedule as the Fox network for the season. In the United Kingdom, the season premiered on May 1, 2012, at 10:30 p.m., on E4, (it is shown after other FOX animation The Cleveland Show).
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|14||1||"The Belchies"||Boohwan Lim & Kyounghee Lim||Jon Schroeder||March 11, 2012||2ASA01||4.04|
|The kids explore an abandoned taffy factory on the day of its demolition, while Bob and Linda try to find them before time runs out.|
|15||2||"Bob Day Afternoon"||Wes Archer||Dan Fybel & Rich Rinaldi||March 18, 2012||2ASA02||4.40|
|Bob and Linda decide to take an opportunity to promote their restaurant when a bank robbery/hostage situation explodes across the street, but the robber, a low-level criminal named Mickey (voiced by Bill Hader) ends up taking Bob as a hostage.|
|16||3||"Synchronized Swimming"||Anthony Chun||Holly Schlesinger||March 25, 2012||2ASA03||3.97|
|The kids find a way to escape gym class by doing a bogus independent study of synchronized swimming, but things get complicated when Linda becomes their synchronized swimming instructor and Mr. Frond wants the kids to show off their routine in front of the school board. Meanwhile, Bob welcomes a new ice cream machine into the restaurant.|
|17||4||"Burgerboss"||Jennifer Coyle||Scott Jacobson||April 1, 2012||2ASA04||3.66|
|Bob becomes obsessed with an old-school burger-flipping video game after Jimmy Pesto gets the high score and writes "BOB SUX" on the leader board.
Guest Star: Aziz Ansari as DRL ("Darryl")
|18||5||"Food Truckin'"||Bernard Derriman||Lizzie Molyneux & Wendy Molyneux||April 15, 2012||2ASA05||3.90|
|The Belchers beg Bob to buy a food truck to compete against the ones that are stealing his customers. When the "Lolla-Pa-Foods-A-Festival" comes up, the Belchers bring the truck and the kids decide to cause mischief. Unfortunately, this causes a riot to rise from the other food truckers.|
|19||6||"Dr. Yap"||Anthony Chun||Steven Davis & Kelvin Yu||April 29, 2012||2ASA07||3.92|
|While Bob is medicated, he mistakes Linda's sister, Gayle, for his wife and kisses her. After she falls for him, Bob seeks help from Dr. Yap.|
|20||7||"Moody Foodie"||Boohwan Lim & Kyounghee Lim||Steven Davis & Kelvin Yu||May 6, 2012||2ASA06||3.72|
|The restaurant receives a negative review from a vicious food critic (voiced by Patton Oswalt) and it begins to affect Bob's cooking.|
|21||8||"Bad Tina"||Jennifer Coyle||Holly Schlesinger||May 13, 2012||2ASA10||3.69|
|Tina starts hanging out with bad girl, Tammy (voiced by Jenny Slate), in an effort to get closer to Jimmy Junior.|
|22||9||"Beefsquatch"||Wes Archer||Nora Smith||May 20, 2012||2ASA09||3.57|
|Bob appears in a cooking segment on a local news morning program, but Gene steals the show when he crashes the set with a Sasquatch mask.|
- "‘Bob’s Burgers’ cooks up a second season on FOX - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Fox Gives Back-Nine Order To Animated Series 'Bob's Burgers'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Siede, Caroline. "Bob’s Burgers: "Moody Foodie" · The A.V. Club". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Siede, Caroline. "Bob’s Burgers: "Burgerboss" · The A.V. Club". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Siede, Caroline. "Bob’s Burgers: "Bob Day Afternoon" · The A.V. Club". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Amazon.com: Bob's Burgers Season 2". Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Sunday Final Ratings: ’60 Minutes’, ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’, ‘Once Upon a Time’, ‘The Amazing Race’ & ‘Desperate Housewives’ Adjusted Up - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Sunday Final Ratings: ‘Family Guy’ Adjusted Up; ‘Bob’s Burgers’ Adjusted Down - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "‘Napoleon Dynamite’ Canceled, ‘Bob’s Burgers’ Renewed By Fox - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Sepinwall, Alan (2012-03-11). "Review: Bobs Burgers cooks up more weird family fun for season 2". Hitfix.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Maureen Ryan: 'Bob's Burgers' Review And 'Breaking In' Review: Which Fox Comedy Is Worth Checking Out?". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Bowen, Chuck (2012-03-11). "Bob's Burgers: Season Two | TV Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- : Alan Sepinwall. "Critic Reviews for Bob's Burgers Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "TV Guide". Tvguide.ca. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Bob's Burgers - The Belchies". Channel 4. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 13, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: '60 Minutes', 'America's Funniest Home Videos', 'Once Upon a Time', 'The Amazing Race' & 'Desperate Housewives' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (March 20, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Harry's Law' Adjusted Down to Series Lows; 'Desperate Housewives' Adjusted Up + Unscrambled CBS". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 27, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time' Adjusted Up, 'GCB' Adjusted Down + Final CBS Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings:'Once Upon A Time,' 'Bob's Burgers,' '60 Minutes' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 17, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'AFV,' 'Amazing Race,' 'Simpsons,' 'Bob's Burgers,' 'Celebrity Apprentice' & 'The Cleveland Show' All Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- Bibel, Sarah. "TV Ratings Sunday". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 8, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Simpsons', 'Amazing Race' Finale, 'Harry's Law' Adjusted Up; 'Desperate Housewives', 'NYC 22' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Bibel, Sarah (May 15, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon A Time', Family guy’, 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; ‘Survivor: Reunion', 'Dateline' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 22, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy' Adjusted Up; 'Bob's Burgers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- Official website
- List of Bob's Burgers episodes at the Internet Movie Database
- Bob's Burgers at epguides.com