Robert "Bob" Anthony is a Republican politician from the U.S. state of Oklahoma. Anthony is serving his fifth consecutive six-year term on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, where he has served since 1989. He was an unsuccessful candidate for the United States Senate.
Early life and career
Anthony earned a bachelor's degree from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania, a master's degree in economics from the London School of Economics, a master's degree from Yale University and a master's degree in public administration from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
Anthony was a captain in the United States Army Reserves, worked in his grandfather's company C.R. Anthony, worked as a staff economist for the Interior Committee of the United States House of Representatives and as a consultant for the Library of Congress from 1976 to 1979. He was the president of C.R. Anthony Company from 1980 to 1987.
Anthony served as a member of the Oklahoma City Council from 1979-1980. He first won election to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission in 1988 and took office in 1989. He was re-elected in 1994, 2000, 2006 and again in 2012. In 2004 he entered the race to succeed Don Nickles in the United States Senate, but came third in the primary, losing to Tom Coburn.
Anthony revealed in late 1992 that he had been cooperating in a federal bribery probe, secretly taping utility company representatives who broke laws prohibiting donations to regulators. The scandal was averted at the last minute by a company buyout.
- Voices of Oklahoma interview with Bob Anthony, Voices of Oklahoma oral history project, April 27, 2010 (accessed May 22, 2013)
- Bob Anthony, Project Vote Smart (accessed May 22, 2013)
- United States Senator Republican Primary Election - July 27, 2004, Oklahoma State Election Board (accessed May 22, 2013)
- PBS Interview with Bob Anthony (accessed May 23, 2013)
- Bob Anthony's Official Web Site
- Voices of Oklahoma interview with Bob Anthony. First person interview conducted on April 27, 2010 with Bob Anthony. Original audio and transcript archived with Voices of Oklahoma oral history project.
||Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner (Class 3)
|Party political offices|
||Republican nominee for Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner (Class 3)
1988, 1994, 2000, 2006
|This article about an Oklahoma politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|