Bostad graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in 1989 with a degree in Physical Education. In 1994, he received his master's degree in Kinesiology from the University of Minnesota.
Bostad's first coaching job was as Offensive Line Coach at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point from 1990 to 1991. From there he served in the same position at California State University, Northridge before becoming a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota. He served as Offensive Line Coach and offensive coordinator of the San Jose State Spartans and Offensive Line Coach of the New Mexico Lobos from 1999 to 2005. Bostad served as the Tight Ends Coach, Offensive Line Coach, and Running Game Coordinator for the Wisconsin Badgers from 2006-2011. Bostad briefly served as the offensive coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh before taking the position of offensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in February 2012.
- Bob Bostad (1966-09-07). "Football Recruiting - Bob Bostad - Coach Profile - ESPN". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Player Bio: Bob Bostad - University of New Mexico Official Athletic Site". Golobos.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Bob Bostad - Football". Wisconsin.rivals.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- Porath, Brendan (2012-02-18). "Pitt Loses OC Bob Bostad To Bucs. On Wednesday January 22 was hired by the Tennessee Titans to serve as the Offensive Line coach.". SBNation.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- 1 second ago. "Bob Bostad Profile - UWBadgers.com - The Official Web Site of The Wisconsin Badgers Athletics". UWBadgers.com. Retrieved 2013-06-10.