Bob Holden (racing driver)
1 December 1932 |
Notting Hill, Victoria
|Australian Super Touring Championship|
|Teams||Bob Holden Motors|
|Best finish||7th in 1993 Australian 2.0 Litre Touring Car Championship|
|Australian Touring Car Champ.
Australian Drivers' Champ.
Robin John Holden (born 1 December 1932 in Notting Hill, Victoria) is an Australian racing driver. Holden raced small-engined touring cars throughout his career, racing Peugeots in the early 1960s, establishing a reputation for himself which saw him become a regular part of BMC Australias racing program for Minis which culminated with a victory in the 1966 Bathurst 500 co-driving with Rauno Aaltonen. Into the 1970s Holden moved on to race Ford Escorts in various guises, moving into Toyota Corollas in the 1980s, winning the 1.6 litre class at the Bathurst round of the 1987 World Touring Car Championship. In the mid-1990s Holden moved into BMW M3s and later a BMW 318i Super Touring car in which he raced his final Bathurst in 1998, at the time setting the record for most Bathurst appearances.
Holden has continued his involvement in racing through the historic racing scene, and has restored two of his Group C specification Ford Escorts to race in historic touring car racing, although one was recently badly damaged at Oran Park. Holden is also involved in charity work, helping disadvantaged youth acquire trade skills to help establish themselves in society.
Complete World Touring Car Championship results
(key) (Races in bold indicate pole position) (Races in italics indicate fastest lap)
|1987||Bob Holden Motors||Toyota Sprinter AE86||MNZ||JAR||DIJ||NUR||SPA
- "Bob Holden career Statistics". Driver database. Retrieved 28 Jan 2010.
- "Bathurst Winners". Retrieved 28 Jan 2010.
- "Holden Ready to Race Again". Sydney Morning Herald. 9 Jan 1972. p. 45.
- "Bathurst 1000 Kilometres 1987". Retrieved 28 Jan 2010.
- Frank de Jong (4 October 1987). "James Hardie 1000 Bathurst 1987". History of the European Touring Car Championship & Other International Touring Car Races. Retrieved 28 Jan 2010.
- Tuckey, Bill, ed. (1987/88). The Great Race (Hornsby: The Berghouse Floyd Tuckey Publishing Group) 7. ISSN 1031-6124.
- "Australian Super Touring Championship". 30 Oct 1996.
- "2006 Festival of Speed on Tweed report". 1 March 2009.
|Winner of the Bathurst 500
(with Rauno Aaltonen)