Bob Kinnear is a union leader in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He is the leader of the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113, which represents approximately 9,000 TTC workers and approximately 200 workers at Veolia Transportation (VIVA) in York Region.
Controversy and labour actions
Kinnear is a controversial labor leader due to recent job actions involving his union. In recent years he has been vocal about issues surrounding employee safety and security due to numerous attacks on the employees he represents. He also demands that bus, train, and streetcar drivers, as well as cashiers, make $27–29 an hour (base wage)with many making more than 100,000. The Toronto Star once called him the "most hated man in Toronto"
Bob Kinnear was head of Local 113 at the time of the following job actions:
- 2006 Toronto Transit Commission wildcat strike
- 2008 TTC strike
- 2008 VIVA strike in York Region
- 2011- Feb. 2012 VIVA strike in York Region (co-ordinated with ATU Local 1587 so the North and South-west division of YRT would also be on strike).
As of 2014, Bob Kinnear endorses Doug Ford as Mayor of Toronto.
- Kalinowski, Tess (2008-04-19). "Union leader mellows as style matures". Toronto Star.
- Press, Jordan (2005-04-09). "Union leader follows steps of his father". The Globe and Mail.
- Wattie, Chris (2008-04-29). "Union sabotaged vote: TTC". National Post.
- Westhead, Rick (2008-04-29). "TTC union leaders bitterly split". Toronto Star.
- "Kinnear denies reports of union dissension in TTC talks". CBC News. 2008-04-28.
- "Bob Kinnear Surfaces But Won't Apologize For Unannounced Walkout". CityNews. 2008-04-28.
|This biographical article about a Canadian activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|