Bob LaMonte is an American sports agent who works primarily with National Football League coaches and management. He is the founder and president of Professional Sports Representation, Inc. LaMonte also represents college coaches and Major League Baseball and NFL players. In 2007, his head coaching clients earned more than $37 million. In 2008, LaMonte represented three of the top ten NFL's most valuable coaches by Forbes. As of February 5, 2010, LaMonte represented a total of forty five clients with forty being involved in football.
LaMonte graduated from the Santa Clara University in 1968. He was a nose tackle on the varsity football team in 1964 and 1965. In 1970, he received a master's degree in diplomatic history from San Jose State University. Lamonte taught history at Oak Grove High School from until 1973, and moved onto to teach at Santa Teresa High School until 1992. He was part of the coaching staff of the football programs at both schools. In 1981, one his former students, Rich Campbell, asked him to represent him as Campbell would go on to be selected in the first round of the 1981 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers. He would represent former San Francisco Bay Area athletes including Dave Steib, Robin White, Mervyn Fernandez, and Nick Vanos. On March 8, 1985, LaMonte negotiated the longest baseball contract at the time with the Toronto Blue Jays for Steib. In 1992, Mike Holmgren asked LaMonte to represent him to negotiate a deal for the heading coaching position for the Green Bay Packers. He retired from teaching that year, and moved onto to focus on representing NFL coaches, and would help expand the role of NFL head coaches by also being involved in personnel decisions. Already the head football coach of the Philadelphia Eagles since 1999, LaMonte negotiated a contract to expand the duties of his client, Andy Reid, to become executive VP of football operations.
Former NFL Coaches:
- Jon Gruden (ESPN Analyst for Monday Night Football)
- Mike Holmgren (Former Green Bay Packers Head Coach)
- Mike Martz (Former Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator and current analyst for Fox Sports)
General Managers & Executives:
- Lake Dawson (Tennessee Titans VP of Player Personnel)
- Mark Dominik (Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager and current ESPN NFL Front Office Analyst)
- Tom Heckert (Denver Broncos Director of Player Personnel)
- Brian Heimerdinger (St. Louis Rams Player Personnel Analyst)
- Omar Khan (Pittsburgh Steelers Director of Football Administration)
- Steve Keim (Arizona Cardinals General Manager)
- Will Lewis (American football) (Kansas City Chiefs Director of Pro Scouting)
- Jason Licht (Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager)
- Randy Mueller (San Diego Chargers Senior Executive)
- Chris Polian (Jacksonville Jaguars Director of Pro Personnel)
- Howie Roseman (Philadelphia Eagles General Manager)
- Rick Smith (Houston Texans Executive Vice President/General Manager)
- Rick Spielman (Minnesota Vikings General Manager)
- Tom Telesco (San Diego Chargers General Manager)
- Brian Wiedmeier (Cleveland Browns Executive VP of Business Operations)
- Brian Xanders (Detroit Lions Senior Personnel Executive)
- John Fox (Denver Broncos Head Coach)
- Jay Gruden (Washington Redskins Head Coach)
- Mike McCoy (American football) (San Diego Chargers Head Coach)
- Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach)
- Bill Callahan (American football) (Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator)
- Adam Gase (Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator)
- Nathaniel Hackett (Buffalo Bills Offensive Coordinator)
- Ben McAdoo (New York Giants Offensive Coordinator)
- Sean McVay (Washington Redskins Offensive Coordinator)
- Greg Olson (American football) (Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator)
- Doug Pederson (Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Coordinator)
- Frank Reich (San Diego Chargers Offensive Coordinator)
- Brian Schottenheimer (St. Louis Rams Offensive Coordinator)
- Kyle Shanahan (Cleveland Browns Offensive Coordinator)
- Mike Sherman (Former Miami Dolphins Offensive Coordinator)
- Pat Shurmur (Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Coordinator)
- Gunther Cunningham (Detroit Lions Former Defensive Coordinator)
- Jack Del Rio (Denver Broncos Defensive Coordinator)
- Vic Fangio (San Francisco 49ers Defensive Coordinator)
- Perry Fewell (New York Giants Defensive Coordinator)
- Leslie Frazier (Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator)
- Paul Guenther (Cincinnati Bengals Defensive Coordinator)
- Sean McDermott (Carolina Panthers Defensive Coordinator)
- Mike Nolan (Atlanta Falcons Defensive Coordinator)
- Mel Tucker (Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator)
- Tim Walton (American football) (Former St. Louis Rams Defensive Coordinator)
- Edgar Bennett (Green Bay Packers Wide Receivers Coach)
- Bob Bostad (Tennessee Titans Offensive Line Coach)
- Juan Castillo (American football) (Baltimore Ravens Run Game Coordinator)
- Brad Childress (Kansas City Chiefs Spread Game Analyst)
- Ed Donatell (San Francisco 49ers Defensive Backs Coach)
- Jim Leavitt (San Francisco 49ers Linebackers Coach)
- John McNulty (American football) (Tennessee Titans Quarterbacks Coach)
- Pat Morris (American football) (Buffalo Bills Offensive Line Coach)
- Daron Roberts (Cleveland Browns Former Defensive Quality Control)
- Al Saunders (Oakland Raiders Senior Offensive Assistant)
- Mike Singletary (Minnesota Vikings Linebackers Coach and Assistant Head Coach)
- Steve Spagnuolo (Baltimore Ravens Assistant Head Coach/Senior Defensive Assistant)
- Craig Bohl (North Dakota State Bison football Head Coach)
- Clint Bowen (Kansas Defensive Coordinator)
- Tim DeRuyter (Fresno State Bulldogs Head Coach)
- Tim Drevno (USC Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach)
- Mark Snyder (Texas A&M Football Defensive Coordinator)
- Charlie Weis (Kansas Head Coach)
- Mark Whipple (Massachusetts Minutemen football Head Coach)
- Chris Carpenter (Former St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher)
- Pat Hentgen (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)
- George Koonce (Former Marquette University Director of Advancement)
- Joe Nedney (Former San Francisco 49ers Placekicker)
- Dave Steib (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)
- Coquese Washington (Penn State Women's Basketball Head Coach)
LaMonte's book on leadership was entitled Winning the NFL Way, and was released in 2005.
- "Shadow People: Meet nine mighty forces who stand behind the men and women in the spotlight and help them succeed". Bloomberg Business Week. 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "The NFL's Most Valuable Coaches". Forbes.com. 2008-09-03. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Reno's Bob LaMonte among NFL's most powerful". Reno Gazette - Journal. 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Santa Clara University Notable Alumni". Santa Clara University. 2009-08-26. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Santa Clara Football Alphabetical Roster, All Teams 1959 through 1992". Let Them Play.com.
- "SCU Grad Is One of Most Powerful Agents in Coaching". Santa Clara Broncos Inside Athletics. 2002-07-08. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Jays sign Stieb to 11-year deal for $25 million". Montreal Gazette. 1985-03-09. p. D-13. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Lessons In Diplomacy". Santa Clara Magazine. Winter 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "The Matchmaker". Sports Illustrated. 2004-05-03. Retrieved 2010-07-05.