Ptacek in 1958 against Illinois
|Date of birth:||April 23, 1937|
|Place of birth:||Cleveland, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1959 / Round: 8 / Pick: 87|
|Drafted by:||Cleveland Browns|
Career highlights and awards
|CFL West All-Star:||1961, 1964|
|Playing stats at|
Robert J. "Bob" Ptacek, Jr. (born April 23, 1937) is a former professional American and Canadian football quarterback, defensive back, and linebacker who was drafted in the 1959 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. He played for the Browns during the 1959 NFL season. He also was a Canadian Football League All-Star with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1964 as a defensive back and was an all Western Conference linebacker in 1961.
He had been the starting quarterback for the Michigan Wolverines football team for all nine games of the 1958 NCAA Division I-A football season and he was named the team Most Valuable Player, as well as the Hula Bowl and College All-Star Game MVP. In 1956 and 1957, Jim Van Pelt had been the starting quarterback, but Ptacek started two games at halfback in 1956. In the 1958 Michigan-Ohio State game, Ptacek set a new Big Ten Conference record of 24 pass completions in a single game; Ptacek's 24 completions were good for 241 yards and two touchdowns. In August 1959, he was voted the Most Valuable Player in the 26th Annual College All-Star game, matching the college all-stars against the Baltimore Colts. Ptacek had attended Holy Name High School in Cleveland.
He played for Saskatchewan from 1960–65, and he was inducted into the Saskatchewan Roughriders Plaza of Honour in 2001. During his career in the CFL, he scored four rushing touchdowns on offense and two on interception returns. He passed for 299 completions, including 25 touchdowns, on a total of 525 pass attempts. He was named to the All-Canadian team as a defensive back in 1964 as well as All-WFC in 1961 as a linebacker and 1964 defensive back.
- "1959 NFL Player Draft". databaseFootball.com. databaseSports.com. 2006. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "All-Time Players: Bob Ptacek". NFL Enterprises LLC. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "1958 Football Team". The Regents of the University of Michigan. 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "I-A College Football: College Football Matchup - Hula Bowl". MercuryNews.com. San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "1956 Football Team". The Regents of the University of Michigan. 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- UPI wire service report (1958-11-23). "Michigan Upset Hopes Chilled By Buckeyes". Syracuse Herald-American.
- AP wire service report (1959-08-16). "Ptacek Is College All-Star MVP". The Modesto Bee.
- "Bob Ptacek". databaseFootball.com. databaseSports.com. 2006. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "PLAZA OF HONOUR". Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club. Archived from the original on 2007-12-12. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- Phillips, Curt (1997). Saskatchewan Roughriders: Player Reference 1960–1996. Westar Copier Co., Inc. p. 215. ISBN 0-9682211-0-6.
- "HISTORY >> All-Time Playoff Records". Canadian Football League. Retrieved 2008-01-16.