Bobby Green (fighter)
September 9, 1986 |
Inland Empire, California
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Fontana, California|
|Team||Pinnacle Mixed Martial Arts|
|Rank||blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bobby Green (born September 9, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist who is currently under contract with the UFC, competing in their Lightweight division. He is the former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion and has also competed in Tachi Palace Fights, Strikeforce, and Affliction. Green has made one appearance on the MTV/MTV2 reality show Bully Beatdown. As of May 26, 2014, he is #7 in official UFC lightweight rankings.
Green was born in Inland Empire, California and became a foster child when he was five years old. He began wrestling in his sophomore year at A.B. Miller High School in Fontana, California and was talented, placing twice in the state tournament. Green began mixed martial arts while he was also working at a warehouse to support his son.
Mixed martial arts career
Green made his professional mixed martial arts debut in January 2008. He quickly amassed an 8-1 record while fighting on independent events throughout California and Mexico and did not train for his first "12 or 13" fights.
Green drew the attention of Affliction Entertainment and fought on their second (and final) card Day of Reckoning. He lost to Dan Lauzon via submission in the first round. Green was deducted two points in the first round, in what Sherdog calls one of the dirtiest fights in recent memory.
Following the loss, Green began a successful run in the King of the Cage promotion. On February 25, 2010, Green defeated Rick Legere via first round TKO to win the King of the Cage Junior Welterweight Championship at KOTC Arrival at the San Manuel Casino in Highland, California. He eventually defended the title once before losing it to Tim Means. On April 21, Green defeated Dom O'Grady by unanimous decision to win the King of the Cage Lightweight Championship.
On July 14, 2011, it was announced that Green had signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce. It was originally announced that Green would debut against Milton Vieira at Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Duarte. However, on July 19, it was announced he would be filling in for Lyle Beerbohm against Gesias Cavalcante at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson. The fight was very back and forth, but Green lost the fight via a narrow split decision.
His next bout came against Charon Spain at Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough. Green won the fight via submission (arm-triangle choke) in the second round but is out indefinitely due to left and right hand injuries.
Green was scheduled to face Isaac Vallie-Flagg at Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers. However, Vallie-Flagg was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by J.P. Reese. He won the fight via submission in the third round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Green defeated Jacob Volkmann on February 2, 2013 at UFC 156 via rear naked choke in round three. After back and forth action in the first two rounds, Green displayed some great grappling, countering Volkmann's attempts and finishing with the choke after some vicious ground and pound, which forced Volkmann to give up his back. The performance earned Green Submission of the Night honors.
Green faced James Krause on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. The fight ended in unusual fashion as Green had previously kicked Krause in the groin area twice, resulting in a one point deduction. Green then landed a blow to Krause's belt line, which resulted in Krause falling to the canvas. Referee John McCarthy declared it a legal blow and awarded Green a TKO victory.
Green was expected to face Jim Miller on April 26, 2014 at UFC 172. However, in the week leading up to the event, Green pulled out of the bout citing another injury and was replaced by Yancy Medeiros.
The bout with Trujillo was rescheduled for August 2, 2014 at UFC 176. However, after UFC 176 was cancelled, Green/Trujillo was rescheduled and was expected to take place on August 16, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 47. Subsequently, Green was removed from this fight on July 11 in favor of a matchup with against Josh Thomson as Green replaced Michael Johnson on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. Green won the bout via split decision.
A bout with Jorge Masvidal, first scheduled under the Strikeforce banner in 2012 before being scrapped, was expected to take place on September 27, 2014 at UFC 178. However, on August 14, the UFC announced that Green would now face Donald Cerrone at the event. Following the signing and scheduling of former Bellator MMA Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez to face Cerrone at the event, Green was rescheduled to compete at a later, undetermined date.
Green was very briefly linked to a bout with Jorge Masvidal on April 4, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 63. However, shortly after the fight was announced by the UFC, Green pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Benson Henderson
Championships and Accomplishments
Mixed Martial Arts
- King of the Cage
- Total Fight Alliance
- TFA Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Warriors Fighting Championship
- WFC 2008 Lightweight Tournament Winner
- California Interscholastic Federation
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||23 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||23–6||Edson Barboza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||November 22, 2014||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||23–5||Josh Thomson||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||22–5||Pat Healy||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||21–5||James Krause||TKO (body kick)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||1||3:50||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||20–5||Jacob Volkmann||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||4:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Win||19–5||Matt Ricehouse||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||18–5||James Terry||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier||May 19, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||17–5||J.P. Reese||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers||November 18, 2011||3||2:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–5||Charon Spain||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||2||2:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Gesias Cavalcante||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||15–4||Dom O'Grady||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Moral Victory||April 21, 2011||5||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Won KOTC Lightweight Championship|
|Loss||14–4||Tim Means||TKO (retirement)||KOTC: Inferno||October 7, 2010||2||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Lost KOTC Junior Welterweight Title|
|Win||14–3||Daron Cruickshank||Submission (guillotine choke)||KOTC: Imminent Danger||August 13, 2010||2||2:39||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States||Defended KOTC Junior Welterweight Title|
|Win||13–3||Ricky Legere Jr.||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Arrival||February 25, 2010||1||4:27||Highland, California, United States||Won KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship|
|Win||12–3||Charles Bennett||KO (punches)||KOTC: Fight 4 Hope||December 17, 2009||1||2:17||Highland, California, United States|
|Loss||11–3||David Mitchell||Submission (toe hold)||Tachi Palace Fights 2||December 3, 2009||1||0:54||Lemoore, California, United States||Fought at Welterweight|
|Win||11–2||Sevak Magakian||TKO (punches)||Respect in the Cage 2||November 20, 2009||1||2:24||Pomona, California, United States|
|Win||10–2||Jeff Torch||Submission (punches)||KOTC: Jolted||October 3, 2009||1||1:29||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||John Ulloa||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Immortal||February 27, 2009||1||N/A||San Bernardino, California, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Dan Lauzon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Affliction: Day of Reckoning||January 24, 2009||1||4:55||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||8–1||Toby Grear||TKO (punches)||TFA 11: Pounding at the Pyramid||July 12, 2008||2||3:25||Long Beach, California, United States||Won TFA Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Rafael Salomao||TKO (punches)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||1||4:10||Mexico City, Mexico||WFC Lightweight Tournament Final.|
|Win||6–1||Israel Giron||KO (punches)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||1||2:47||Mexico City, Mexico||WFC Lightweight Tournament Semi-Final.|
|Win||5–1||Santiago Manzanares||Decision (split)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||3||3:00||Mexico City, Mexico||WFC Lightweight Tournament Quarter-Final.|
|Win||4–1||Raymond Ayala||Submission (choke)||Total Fighting Alliance 10||March 22, 2008||2||1:59||Santa Monica, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Herman Terrado||Submission (guillotine choke)||COF 11: No Mercy||March 8, 2008||3||1:28||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||2–1||Josh Gaskins||Decision (unanimous)||Valor Fighting: Fight Night||March 7, 2008||3||3:00||Tustin, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Enrique Briones||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCM 5 - Deadly Zone||February 23, 2008||1||0:48||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Win||1–0||Neal Abrams||KO (punches)||Total Fighting Alliance 9||January 19, 2008||3||1:12||Santa Monica, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Lawler vs. Brown". UFC.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Michael Drahota (July 23, 2014). "UFC on FOX 12 fight card: Josh Thomson vs Bobby Green fight preview". mmamania.com.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Strikeforce/M-1 ‘Fedor vs. Henderson’ Preview". Sherdog.com. 2011-07-25.
- http://mmarecap.com/news/King_Of_The_Cage_Arrival_Results_And_Recap-1073%7CKOTC Arrival Results
- "Milton Vieira vs. Bobby Green targeted for Strikeforce Challengers 18". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-07-09. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- "Lyle Beerbohm No Longer On Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson Card". addictedmma.com. 2011-07-19.
- "Bobby Green out indefinitely". mmajunkie. September 26, 2011.
- "Strikeforce lightweight Bobby Green meets Jacob Volkmann at UFC 156". mmajunkie. December 21, 2012.
- "Castillo vs. Green set for UFC on FOX 8". MMAjunkie.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Tim Means replaces Bobby Green, faces Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-09-06). "James Krause vs. Bobby Green booked for UFC Fight Night 31's 'Troops' event". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Ken Pishna (2013-11-12). "Bobby Green Makes a Quick Turn to Face Pat Healy at UFC on Fox 9". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC on FOX 9 winners Bobby Green, Abel Trujillo booked for UFC 169". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- Staff (2013-12-31). "Abel Trujillo gets new opponent for UFC 169 main card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Staff (2014-02-07). "Jim Miller agrees to meet Bobby Green at UFC 172 in Baltimore". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Jamie Penick (2014-04-20). "With Bobby Green injured, UFC 172 shakes up lightweight bouts with Miller-Medeiros and Ellenberger-Rocha now booked". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-06-09). "Bobby Green-Abel Trujillo set". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Erickson, Matt (2014-07-08). "After UFC 176 cancellation, Green-Trujillo, Formiga-Makovsky move to UFC Fight Night 47". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-07-11). "Green in for the Menace against Thomson". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Staff (2014-07-27). "Bobby Green defeats Josh Thomson". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- Tom Ngo (2013-07-29). "Bobby Green battles Jorge Masvidal at UFC 178". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "UFC 178 adds Donald Cerrone-Bobby Green, James Krause-Jorge Masvidal". MMAjunkie.com. August 14, 2014.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-08-19). "Eddie Alvarez to fight Donald Cerrone in UFC 178 co-main event". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Dave Doyle (2014-09-24). "Bobby Green vs. Edson Barboza set to tangle in Texas UFC Fight Night card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Gene Mrosko (2014-11-23). "UFC Fight Night 57 results: Bobby Green taunts Edson Barboza, gets kicked in the skull and loses decision". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- C.J. Tuttle (2015-01-18). "Bobby Green-Jorge Masvidal added to UFC Fight Night". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Damon Martin (2015-01-22). "Bobby Green injured; Benson Henderson now faces Jorge Masvidal in Virginia". foxsports.com.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.