|Also known as||Bobby Jarzomek|
September 4, 1963 |
San Antonio, Texas, United States
|Genres||progressive metal, heavy metal, power metal, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Riot, Sebastian Bach, Halford, Spastic Ink, Fates Warning, Arch/Matheos, PainMuseum, Demons and Wizards, Iced Earth, Rob Rock, John West, Juggernaut, Crush 40, Jun Senoue|
Bobby Jarzombek is a heavy metal/progressive metal drummer and best known for his work with Halford, Sebastian Bach and Riot. He has also recorded and toured with Fates Warning, Arch/Matheos, Iced Earth, Rob Rock, John West, Spastic Ink, and Juggernaut, among others.
Bobby Jarzombek was born and raised in San Antonio, TX and grew up in a very musical family. Picking up the drums at age 10 after his mother bought him a 14 dollar kit from Sears for Christmas, Bobby soon started jamming with his two brothers, Ralph and Ronnie, and eventually hit the club scene by the time he was a high school senior.
Quickly developing into one of the hottest drummers in town, he then joined local up-and-comers, Juggernaut, with whom he made his official recording debut, aptly titled Baptism Under Fire, in 1986. A second album followed but by then Bobby had already been tapped to join seminal New York metal band Riot for their CBS comeback release, Thundersteel, a power metal milestone that also yielded the MTV video 'Bloodstreets.'
As a member of Riot, Bobby toured throughout the US, Europe, and Japan and recorded a total of 6 studio and a pair of live albums, including The Privilege of Power (1990), an eclectic semi-concept album featuring the Tower of Power horns and guest vocals by Joe Lynn Turner, Nightbreaker (1994), and 1998's Shine On!, recorded live in Japan. Bobby took leave from the band early into the Brethren of the Long House sessions but was persuaded to rejoin in time for 1997's Inishmore.
In 1993, Bobby also reconnected with his younger brother, noted guitarist Ron Jarzombek of WatchTower fame. Joined by Riot bassist Pete Perez, the duo formed madcap tech/prog metal outfit Spastic Ink whose 'anything goes'-approach owed as much to the spirit of Frank Zappa and cartoon music icon Carl Stalling as it did to the brothers' early prog heroes such as UK and Rush. The band went on to release two highly acclaimed albums, Ink Complete (1997) and Ink Compatible (2004).
In the fall of 1999, Bobby was asked to submit a package to former Judas Priest vocalist Rob Halford whose new project was deep into the pre-production phase for their debut album. Halford was duly impressed by what he later described as "seeing a videotape of the sickest drum solo I've seen in my life. It takes a lot to impress me 'cause I've been around the block! I knew Bobby from Riot but had never seen him play live. He's like an illusionist on the drum kit. It's effortless and entertaining, and he's just brilliant."
Bobby became the drummer for Halford and has subsequently been part of every recording - including Resurrection (2000), Live Insurrection (2001), Crucible (2002), and the Fourging The Furnace EP (2003) - and tour, highlighted by an appearance in 2001 at the massive Rock In Rio III festival in Brazil in front of a quarter million fans. Halford went on indefinite hiatus when Rob Halford rejoined his former band, Judas Priest, in 2003. Halford would re-active his solo career in 2009 with Halford III: Winter Songs, a heavy metal Christmas album, followed by the release of Halford IV: Made of Metal in the summer of 2010 which also saw the band appear on the main stage at Ozzfest as well as co-headlining the Loud Park festival in Japan. The show was filmed for the 2011 Live At Saitama Super Arena DVD.
In 2004, Bobby was asked by future Howard Stern sidekick Richard Christy to take over his drum duties with Iced Earth who were in the middle of their U.S. tour in support of The Glorious Burden. The following year, Bobby recorded Touched by the Crimson King with Iced Earth off-shoot Demons and Wizards and was also approached by former Skid Row vocalist Sebastian Bach who was in need of a touring drummer. With Iced Earth on hold due to guitarist Jon Schaffer's persistent back problems, the Bach gig became permanent. In 2006, Bobby toured worldwide with Bach supporting Guns N' Roses whose frontman Axl Rose put in a guest appearance on Bach's 2007 album, Angel Down. He is also featured on Bach's latest studio output, Kicking & Screaming, released in the fall of 2011.
In the summer of 2007, Bobby began his affiliation with long running progressive metal outfit Fates Warning when he was asked to fill in for the band's 2007 Italian 'Evolution Fest' appearance. He was also on board for the European tour later that same year and has continued to be the group's full-time drummer ever since. In 2011, he recorded the Sympathetic Resonance album with Fates Warning off-shoot Arch/Matheos, featuring original lead vocalist John Arch.
In May 2008, it was announced that the members of Riot's classic Thundersteel-era line-up - Mark Reale, Tony Moore, Don Van Stavern, and Bobby Jarzombek - would reunite for a new studio album. Initially slated for a late 2009 release, the album, entitled Immortal Soul, eventually surfaced in the fall of 2011. Founding member Mark Reale would pass away only months later from complications due to Crohn's Disease at a San Antonio, Texas hospital.
In 2008-2009, Bobby was a session drummer for several vocal tracks of Sega's video game Sonic and the Black Knight. His drumming can be heard on "Through the Fire" and both versions of "With Me", the final battle version and the Crush 40 "Massive Power Mix" exclusive to the original vocal soundtrack: Face to Faith.
In early 2011, Platinum Samples issued the Bobby Jarzombek Metal MIDI Groove Library, a multi-format MIDI groove library featuring over 1,670 MIDI files (over 3,430 bars of unquantized grooves) formatted for BFD2®, BFD Eco®, EZDrummer®, EZplayer®, Superior Drummer 2.0®, Addictive Drums®, Cakewalk® Session DrummerTM as well as General MIDI. Bobby's first foray into MIDI samples came in 2007 via Joe Barresi's Evil Drums, a six-DVD set released by Platinum Samples, the second BFD Expansion Pack in the company's 'Master Engineer' series of drum samples featuring the work of multi-platinum award-winning producers and recording engineers.
Drum Instructional DVD
In 2003, Bobby released 'Performance & Technique', his first ever drum instructional VHS/DVD. It was initially available as a self-released VHS tape but was soon picked up by Warner Bros. Publications and released on DVD with additional content in 2005. It was slightly re-packaged and issued again by Alfred Publishing in 2006.
Bobby is currently endorsed by Drum Workshop (DW) / PDP (Pacific Drums and Percussion), Paiste Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks, Evans Drumheads, Samson Technologies, Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzers, Kelly Shu Microphone Mounting Systems, and Planet Waves Cables.
- (2011) Immortal Soul
- (1999) Sons of Society
- (1998) Shine On
- (1997) Inishmore
- (1997) Angel Eyes EP (Japan only)
- (1995) The Brethren of the Long House
- (1993) Nightbreaker
- (1993) Greatest Hits '78 - '90, aka Star Box (Japan only)
- (1992) Riot In Japan - Live!! (Japan) / (1999) Live In Japan!! (US)
- (1990) The Privilege of Power
- (1988) Thundersteel
- (2012) Live In London
- (2011) Live At Saitama Super Arena DVD
- (2010) Halford IV: Made of Metal
- (2010) Live in Anaheim CD & DVD
- (2009) Halford III: Winter Songs
- (2008) Live At Rock In Rio III DVD
- (2006) Metal God Essentials, Vol. 1
- (2003) Fourging The Furnace EP (Japan only)
- (2002) Crucible
- (2001) Live Insurrection
- (2000) Resurrection
with Fates Warning
- (2011) Sympathetic Resonance
with Sebastian Bach
- (2006) You Have The Right To Remain Violent EP
- (2004) Metal For Life
with Spastic Ink
- (1987) Trouble Within
- (1986) Baptism Under Fire
Session Work & Guest Spots
- (2009) Ron Jarzombek - PHHHP! Plus
- (2009) Thomsen - Let's Get Ruthless
- (2009) Tim 'Ripper' Owens' - Play My Game
- (2009) Various - Sonic And The Black Knight - Tales of Knighthood OST
- (2008) Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
- (2005) Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King
- (2005) Rob Rock - Holy Hell
- (2002) John West - Earth Maker
- "Rob Rock: U.S. Release Date Set For 'Holy Hell'".
- "Royal Hunt Frontman Sets Release Date For "Earth Maker"".
- "Spastic Ink To Release Sophomore Album In April".
- Hill, Gary. "Biography: Bobby Jarzombek". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- "Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue, Halford Top Ozzfest 2010 Bill".
- "Drummer Bobby Jarzombek Talks About Landing Iced Earth Gig".
- "Iced Earth Drummer Completes Recordings For New Demons & Wizards Album".
- "Bobby Jarzombek To Join Sebastian Bach For Summer Dates".
- "Bobby Jarzombek To Perform With Fates Warning at Italy's Evolution Fest".
- "Drummer Bobby Jarzombek Says New Arch/Matheos Project Is 'Amazing'".
- "Riot's Reunited 'Thundersteel' Lineup Completes First Writing Session In 20 Years".
- "Riot/Halford Drummer Bobby Jarzombek Checks In".
- "Platinum Samples: Bobby Jarzombek Multi-Format Metal MIDI Groove Library".
- "Fates Warning To Release 'Darkness In A Different Light' In September".
- Bobby Jarzombek official website
- Bobby Jarzombek YouTube channel
- Bobby Jarzombek Metal MIDI Grooves Library at Platinum Samples
- 'Performance & Technique' review on Modern Drummer