|Occupation||interior decorator, designer, and television personality|
|Known for||Links with Anna Nicole Smith, television appearances|
Early life and career
Trendy grew up in Northern California, and his parents had a computer software background. Trendy worked at Kmart as a cashier and Wendys and Dennys. During high school he took every after school class available, and was able to obtain a cosmetology license. Graduating with top honors and scholarships, he then went on to study to be a doctor and defense attorney before becoming a designer. At the age of 17 he packed up his bag and moved to a single apartment in Beverly Hills with his savings.
While shopping in the mall one day he noticed a store called "Merry Go Round" going out of business. He offered the owner one dollar for every piece and to be given the store fixtures for free. The owner agreed. Trendy then took all the fixtures downtown and sold them to the display places. A store for rent was available for $400 a month. He rented it and signed a 25 year lease. He opened his store called "Fuel" and after two years the landlord wanted to sell the building and paid Trendy 50K to leave.
Bobby Trendy Designs was then born. He rented a store on La Cienega and Melrose and signed a 25 year lease. Within the first week Carmen Electra came in and dropped $350K on his designs and furnishing. A week later Usher came in, then Tyler Perry. KTLA then took notice and had him do a segment on decorating for their morning show. USC hired him to make 100 sofas and chairs for their new PIRC student body building. The Grove of Anaheim hired him to do their exclusive theatre and was Bobby's first order over $500K.
The Anna Nicole Show
Anna Nicole Smith hired Bobby to decorate her new house and made him an instant star by featuring him in her highly rated show. After one day of taping Trendy told the producers not to pay him and that he would do the show for free. Trendy also bought commercial air time. When the pink "Anna Nicole bed" appeared on the show Trendy sold 225 units in one day at $15000 each causing his site to crash. Anna Nicole didn't want to do merchandising, so Bobby took that up on his own and sold the famous pink bed and pillows and bedding all done in house. He kept all revenue from the sales. HSN approached Bobby to sell his line but after visiting HSN headquarters in Clearwater, Florida, a deal was not struck.
After the death of Anna Nicole smith in 2007 Trendy made his store into a museum. In 2008 the landlord wanted to sell the building and offered trendy $875k to move out.
Following the death of Anna Nicole Smith, Trendy gave numerous press interviews, including appearances on CNN, Fox News and The Howard Stern Show. In an interview with Michael Musto of the Village Voice, Trendy said:
"Anna Nicole Smith made me famous. I'm the most famous designer in the world and I'm forever grateful to her. I just made the call to ask about buying her a star on the Walk of Fame! She was the breadwinner of the family. Howard K. Stern led her in the wrong direction by isolating her from other people."
Current Career and TV work
Bobby has done many shows and interviews. Bobby has appeared on Lifetime's "Merge" as a decorator, "The Anna Nicole Show", "Nancy Grace", "Dr. Phil", "Hanity and Combs", "Howard Stern", "Yes Dear", "How did you get so Rich" with Joan Rivers, "The Faboulus Life" on VH1, "Celebrity Homes" on E!. Bobby also participated in online debating with Deeyoon.com against Nadya Suleman aka Octomom while she was in rehab for Xanax in 2012 and in 2013 he appeared in an episode of "The Ben Show" with Ben Hoffman on Comedy Central. Bobby is now designing dresses and jewelry and still doing interior design work.
- Source: http://los-angeles-business-journal.vlex.com/vid/trendy-interiors-52806640.
- Source: http://www.wehoconfidential.com/2013/03/interview-with-bobby-trendy.html#.UUFfaI5c9SV
- Source: http://www.groundreport.com/Arts_and_Culture/Bobby-Trendy-on-Fox-Reality-Channel-Gimme-My-Reali/2864810
- Source: http://observer.com/2002/10/meet-the-soul-of-anna-nicole/
- Source: http://observer.com/term/bobby-trendy/
- "Cover Girl Anna Nicole Smith Dead of Unknown Causes". CNN. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-05-24.
- "WHO'S HER DADDY?". 2007-02-14. Retrieved 2007-05-24.
- Musto, Michael (2007-02-16). "La Dolce Musto". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2007-05-24.
- Source: http://www.tv.com/shows/merge/
- Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0703/02/ng.01.html
- Source: http://tv.msn.com/tv/episode/yes-dear/sorority-girl/
- Source: http://www.pinkisthenewblog.com/2010-03-31/joan-rivers-bobby-trendy-are-bffs
- Source: http://www.zimbio.com/Bobby+Trendy/articles/4pA9U5UexU9/Ben+Show+Comedy+Central+Features+Bobby+Trendy
- Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1235524/
- Source: http://www.tmz.com/person/bobby-trendy/