12 February 1982 |
Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
|Occupation||Musician, entrepreneur, entertainer|
|Years active||2000 – present|
|Relatives||Mikie Wine (Brother)|
Bobi Wine (real name Robert Ssentamu Kyagulanyi) is a musician from Uganda He was born on 12 February 1982 in Mpigi District South West of Kampala District, who was baptised Robert Kyagulanyi in the Roman Catholic Church. He went to Makerere University in Kampala. He started making music in the early 2000s. His first singles were Akagoma, Funtula and Sunda (featuring Ziggy D), which brought Wine into the limelight. He was previously part of the group Fire Base Crew. Later he formed new group Ghetto Republic of Uganja, which he leads.
In 2009 he toured the United States In 2009 musician Bebe Cool was hospitalised after Wine beat him during a show in Kampala. Wine has also been charged for erecting a building without the permission of the Kampala City Council
The Uganda Professional Boxing Commission (UPBC) has given him a professional boxing license.
Wine, like many other top Ugandan artists, is greatly loved, and his music is greatly embraced at the grass-roots level and has been praised for singing meaningful music. He has had quite a number of conflicts with the famous Bebe Cool and Chameleon. He is associated to other musicians like Buchaman and Nubian Li who have sung alongside him in various productions. Wine is also a movie actor, mainly starring a few local movies commonly known as Binayugandda. He is well known for his love of cars and has quite a fleet of them, including the famous American SUV the Escalade. Bobi Wine is also associated with a famous TV show that is filmed at his plush lake-view mansion. He has a brand new released song entitled "Dilemma" starring Mr.G, Cindy, and Wine himself.
In July 2014 it was announced that Wine was to perform in the United Kingdom, at The Drum arts centre in Birmingham and the Troxy in London. This led to calls for a ban because of his lyrics advocating violence against gay people. Both venues subsequently cancelled Wine's appearances.
Bobi Wine has won awards at the prestigious HiPipo Music Awards (HMA) and Pearl Of Africa Music Awards.
- 2005 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Song of the Year ("Mama Mbiire" with Juliana Kanyomozi) PAM Awards: 2005 Winners
- 2006 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Artiste of the Year & Best Afro Beat Single ("Bada")Ugandaonline.net: PAM Awards 2006 Winners
- 2007 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Best Afro-Beat Artiste/Group Best Afro-Beat Single ("Kiwani") Museke: Pearl of Africa Music (PAM) awards 2007 winners - Uganda
- 2008 Pearl of Africa Music Awards - Best Afro-Beat Artiste/Group Museke: Pearl of Africa Music (PAM) awards 2008 winners - Uganda
- 2013 HiPipo Music Awards - Best Afrobeat Song ("Jennifer") 
- 2006 Tanzania Music Awards - Best East African Album ("Mama Mbiire").Tanzania Music Awards - Nominees 2006
- 2007 Kisima Music Awards - Best Song Uganda ("Bada") Kisima Awards nominees 2007
- 2009 MTV Africa Music Awards - Best Video ("Little Things You Do" with Wahu) Museke: MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) 2009 nominees.
- 2013 HiPipo Music Awards - Best Dancehall/Ragga Song ("By Far") 
- Saturday Vision, 12 June 2009: Your Stars - Bobi Wine
- Guardian Unlimited, January 5, 2009: Scene and heard: Ugandan dancehall
- Sunday Vision, 6 October 2007: Ugandan artistes invade America
- Daily Monitor, 8 June 2009: Bobi Wine beats up Bebe Cool
- The Monitor, 7 November 2008: Bobi Wine Secures Pro Boxing License
- "Anti-gay Ugandan singer due to perform in Birmingham and London". Pink News. 24 July 2014.
- "Bobi Wine UK Performance Faces Resistance". Chimp Reports. 28 July 2014.
- "‘Burn the gays’ rapper axed from UK venues". Gay Star News. 29 July 2014.
- "Anti-gay rapper banned from Birmingham venue over homophobic lyrics". Birmingham Mail. 29 July 2014.
- http://www.hipipo.com/hma/news/494/Hipipo-Music-Awards-2013-Winners-Bebe-Cool--Navio--Walukaga--Rema-Win-Big HiPipo Music Awards 2013
- List of Nominees for the 1st HiPipo Music Awards