Bognor Regis and Littlehampton (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton in West Sussex for the 2010 general election.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Electorate||70,535 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bognor Regis, Felpham and Littlehampton|
|Member of Parliament||Nick Gibb (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Boundaries and constituency profile
The constituency is elongated along the south coast of England. It includes the towns of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. Small scale manufacturing, trades, retail and commutable industrial parks form most of the economy supplemented by seasonal tourism. A larger than average proportion of the population are retired people who choose to live beside the settlements on the South Coast of England, supporting in the constituency sporting facilities, public services, golf courses and general domestic spending. The proportion of social housing is slightly lower than the UK average.
Following their review of parliamentary boundaries in West Sussex, the Boundary Commission for England has made alterations to all existing constituencies to deal with population changes. The modified Bognor Regis and Littlehampton constituency is created with the following electoral wards:
- Aldwick East, Aldwick West, Beach, Bersted, Brookfield, Felpham East, Felpham West, Ham, Hotham, Marine, Middleton-on-Sea, Orchard, Nyetimber, Pevensey, River, Wick with Toddington, and Yapton from the District of Arun.
Immediately prior to this seat's creation in 1997, the two eponymous towns were part of the Arundel constituency. Prior to 1974, Bognor Regis was part of the Chichester constituency, while Littlehampton was part of the Arundel and Shoreham constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Labour||Alan Butcher |
|UKIP||Graham Jones |
|Liberal Democrat||Francis Oppler |
|General Election 2010: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon McDougall||11,024||23.5||+1.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon McDougall||8,927||21.9||+4.3|
|General Election 2001: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Pamela Peskett||6,846||17.6||-6.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Dr James Walsh||11,153||24.0||-2.7|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in West Sussex
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2001 Census
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Arun District Council
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)