Bogislaw V, Duke of Pomerania
|Bogislaw V, Duke of Pomerania|
Bogislaw and Elisabeth Piast, his first wife
Adelheid of Brunswick-Grubenhagen
|Noble family||House of Griffins|
|Father||Wartislaw IV, Duke of Pomerania|
|Mother||Elisabeth of Lindow-Ruppin|
|Died||23 April 1374|
Eldest son of Duke Wartislaw IV and Elisabeth of Lindow-Ruppin, Bogislaw had two brothers, Barnim IV and Wartislaw V. The brothers were joint rulers from their father's death in 1326. They allied with King Casimir III of Poland, whose daughter Elisabeth married Bogislaw, against the Teutonic Order. Elisabeth died in 1361; in 1362 Bogislaw married Adelheid Welf, daughter of Ernest I, Duke of Brunswick-Grubenhagen.
The death of Barnim in 1366 led to a quarrel between Bogislaw and Wartislaw, which was settled by a treaty in 1368 partitioning Pomerania between Bogislaw V, Wartislaw V, and Barnim's sons, Bogislaw VI and Wartislaw VI. Bogislaw received most of the Farther Pomeranian parts of Pomerania-Wolgast, thence Pomerania-Stolp (named after the town of Stolp, now Słupsk). Wartislaw received the Neustettin (now Szczecinek) area, and the sons of Barnim received North-Western Pomerania with Rügen and Usedom.
Marriages and children
- Elizabeth of Pomerania (1347 – 15 April 1393). She married Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor.
- Casimir IV of Pomerania (c. 1351 – 2 January 1377).
Elisabeth died in 1361. In 1362, Bogislaw V married his second wife Adelheid of Brunswick-Grubenhagen. She was a daughter of Ernest I, Duke of Brunswick-Grubenhagen and Adelheid of Everstein. They had four children:
- Wartislaw VII of Pomerania (d. 24 February 1395). Father of Eric of Pomerania.
- Bogislaw VIII of Pomerania (c. 1363 – 11 February 1418).
- Barnim V of Pomerania (1369 – 16 May 1402).
- Margaret of Pomerania (1366 – 1407/1410). Married Ernest, Duke of Austria.
|Ancestors of Bogislaw V, Duke of Pomerania|
- List of Pomeranian duchies and dukes
- Pomerania during the Late Middle Ages
- Duchy of Pomerania
- Partitions of the Duchy of Pomerania
- House of Pomerania
- His listing in "Medieval lands" by Charles Cawley. The project "involves extracting and analysing detailed information from primary sources, including contemporary chronicles, cartularies, necrologies and testaments."
Bogislaw V, Duke of PomeraniaBorn: c. 1318 Died: 23 April 1374
|Duke of Pomerania-Wolgast
|New division||Duke of Pomerania-Stolp