Location of Bolton, Mississippi
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||220 ft (67 m)|
|• Density||410.4/sq mi (158.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0667414|
Bolton is located at .(32.351745, -90.459937)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 629 people, 246 households, and 157 families residing in the town. The population density was 410.4 people per square mile (158.7/km²). There were 261 housing units at an average density of 170.3 per square mile (65.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 66.77% African American, 31.64% White and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.32% of the population.
There were 246 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.6% were married couples living together, 24.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.8% were non-families. 32.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 15.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 85.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $28,833, and the median income for a family was $50,208. Males had a median income of $27,159 versus $24,479 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,271. About 15.5% of families and 21.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.3% of those under age 18 and 14.7% of those age 65 or over.
The Town of Bolton is served by the Hinds County School District.
- Bo Carter - Early blues singer and guitarist
- Charley Patton - Early blues musician
- Cleveland Green - Former NFL player for the Miami Dolphins
- Alan Huffman - Writer and journalist (Mississippi in Africa)
- Calvin Smith - Olympic gold and bronze medal winning athlete
- Lucille Jenkins Spann - Singer, vocalist; wife of musician Otis Spann
- Bennie Thompson - Member of the United States House of Representatives
- Walter Vinson - Jazz singer and guitarist
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.