Bombay to Goa
|Bombay to Goa|
|Directed by||S. Ramanathan|
|Produced by||N. C. Sippy|
|Written by||Rajinder Krishan (dialogue)
Usalai Somanathan (story)
|Music by||R. D. Burman|
|Edited by||A. Paul Durai Singham|
|3 March 1972|
Bombay to Goa is a 1972 Bollywood adventure-comedy film directed by S. Ramanathan and starring Amitabh Bachchan, Shatrughan Sinha, Aruna Irani and Mehmood. The movie is known particularly for its catchy tunes.
The film is a remake of a 1966 hit Tamil film Madras to Pondicherry. It was a 'Semi-Hit' at the box office.
Bombay to Goa was remade in 2007 with an ensemble cast of comedians.
The lives of Atmaram (Nazir Hussain) and his wife (Dulari) are turned upside down when they see their daughter, Mala's (Aruna Irani) pictures in a magazine. They arrange for Mala's marriage with the son of Ramlal (Agha). Mala is opposed to marrying anyone who she has not met, and is at the same time thrilled that the two persons she trusted, one Verma (Shatrughan Sinha), and the other Sharma (Manmohan) had actually submitted her pictures to a magazine, and were now willing to sign her up for a Bollywood movie. Mala is not able to understand her parents' opposition on her way to fame, and runs away from home with a lot of money and hands this money to Sharma and Verma. Greed overtakes Sharma and Verma, leading to the death of Sharma. Mala, who witnessed Verma kill Sharma, now is on the run for her life. She boards a bus from Bombay which bound for Goa. Verma soon overtakes her, and has one of his armed men on the bus to kill her. And then arrives Mala's admirer Ravikumar (Amitabh Bachchan), who not only protects Mala, but also accompanies her throughout the journey. Mala starts to trust and subsequently fall in love with Ravikumar. The bus journey is adventurous with the passengers, a totally mixed bunch, from all over India, different religions, cultures, and faiths, all thrown together for this journey. The bus is in the "control" of driver Rajesh (Anwar Ali), and conductor, Khanna (Mehmood).
Bachchan's Big Break
Amitabh Bachchan has had an illustrious career that has spanned decades but "Bombay to Goa" (1972) was his first film as the main lead. Bachchan had earlier worked in films but this film was his first as a lead hero because Saat Hindustani (1969) had 7 protagonists, Navin Nishchal was the lead hero in Parwana (1971) and Rajesh Khanna was main lead in Anand (also 1971). "Bombay to Goa" was followed by Zanjeer (1973) and after that followed the super-stardom of ten years. Bachchan was picked for his role in Zanjeer after Javed Akhtar saw him in this film.
- Mehmood ... Khanna / Bus Conductor
- Anwar Ali ... Rajesh / Bus Driver
- Shatrughan Sinha ...Verma
- Amitabh Bachchan ... Ravikumar
- Aruna Irani ... Mala
- Nazir Hussain ... Atmaram, Mala's Father
- Dulari ... Mala's Mother
- Manmohan Krishna ... Sharma
- Mukri ... South Indian Passenger
- Sunder ... Pandit
- Kishore Kumar ... Himself
- Keshto Mukherjee ... Sleeping Passenger
- Manorama ... Young Girl's Mother
- Yusuf Khan ... Boxer
- Babbanlal Yadav ... Boxer's Henchman
- Mehmood Jr. ... Dhaba Waiter
- Asit Sen ... Dhaba Owner
- Lalita Pawar ... Kashibai
- Birbal ... Marathi Passenger
- Rajkishore ... Passenger
- "Bombay To Goa" - Kishore Kumar
- "Dekha Na Haye Re" - Kishore Kumar
- "Dil Tera Hai" - Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar
- "Haye Haye Thanda Paani" - Asha Bhosle
- "Listen To The Pouring Rain" - Usha Uthup
- "Tum Meri Zindagi Mein" - Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar