Bonita High School
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2010)|
|Bonita High School|
|3102 D Street
La Verne, CA, 91750
|School district||Bonita Unified School District|
|Assistant principals||Michael MacCormick, Gene Pizzolo, Josh Kirk|
|Accreditation(s)||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The Paw Print|
Bonita High School is a high school located in the city of La Verne, California in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. Opened in 1903, it was the first high school in the Bonita Unified School District. It moved to its current campus in 1959. The majority of its students come from Ramona Middle School, which is also located in La Verne. The Bearcat Athletic teams currently compete in the Hacienda League of the CIF Southern Section.
In 1903, high school classes started on the second floor of a La Verne store. The classes were quickly moved to the building of nearby La Verne Public School (now La Verne Heights Elementary). Two teachers helped open Bonita Union High School, the first school in the Bonita Unified School District, that fall. In 1905, the school relocated to a two-story Mission-style building on Bonita Avenue. The size of the school was expanded to 23 acres in 1922.
In 1959, due to the overcrowding of the school, the school was sold to the Catholic Church and opened as Damien High School. Bonita moved to D Street, where the current campus still stands. The school celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2003.
Bonita has been recently recognized as a California Distinguished School for its excellence in Academics, Athletics, and the Arts, with a CST rating of 846, (the California standard is 1000 with a score of 800 considered excellent).
- Glenn Davis (1924–2005), football player; Heisman Trophy winner; special events director, Los Angeles Times
- Jason David Frank (born 1973), American actor, martial artist and professional mixed martial arts fighter, best known for playing Tommy Oliver in Power Rangers.
- Gordon Goodwin (born 1954), studio pianist, saxophonist, composer, arranger and conductor. He leads Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band.
- Erin Gruwell (born 1969), unorthodox high school teacher, author, and main character in the 2007 movie Freedom Writers.
- Jeremy Reed (born 1981), professional baseball player who played for the Seattle Mariners, New York Mets, Toronto Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers.
- Matt Wise (born 1975), professional baseball player for the Anaheim Angels, Milwaukee Brewers and New York Mets.
- College Football Hall of Famer Glenn Davis Dies at 80
- Sisario, Ben (2004-02-29). "FOR YOUNG VIEWERS; Those Mighty Power Rangers Just Keep On Morphing". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- McCormick, Patricia S. (1995-02-12). "TELEVISION; . . . And a Parents' Guide to the Politics of Angel Grove". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "In Defense of the 'Freedom Writers'". The Atlantic. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Jeremy Reed Stats". ESPN Internet Ventrues. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Matt Wise Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 25 January 2014.