B. G. Verghese
|Boobli George Verghese|
21 June 1926 |
|Education||The Doon School
University of Cambridge
|Occupation||Journalist, Former editor, Hindustan Times|
Boobli George Verghese (born 21 June 1927) is a senior Indian journalist, who was editor of the leading papers The Hindustan Times(1969–75) and The Indian Express (1982–86). In 1975, he received the Ramon Magsaysay award for outstanding contribution to journalism. Since 1986, he has been associated with the New Delhi think-tank Centre for Policy Research. 
Verghese attended The Doon School. He then studied Economics at St. Stephen's College, Delhi and pursued a Master's degree from Trinity College, Cambridge. While at Doon, Verghese edited The Doon School Weekly.
Verghese started his journalistic career in The Times of India. He was information adviser to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1966-69 and wrote her speeches. Subsequently, he joined as editor, Hindustan Times, but he would lose his post for criticising Indira during the dark years of the Emergency. His integrity in those years earned him immense respect and he was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay award that year. Immediately afterwards, he contested Lok Sabha elections in 1977 from Mavelikkara in Kerala but lost.
He has written extensively on developmental issues. Waters of hope (1990) and ''Winning the future (1994) discuss managing the Himalayan watershed. Design for tomorrow (1965), India's North East resurgent and Reorienting India: Rage, reconciliation and security (2008) are other books with a progressive theme. He is also the author of Warrior of the Fourth Estate (2005), an acclaimed biography of Ramnath Goenka, owner of the Indian Express, In October 2010, he published his autobiography First Draft: Witness to Making of Modern India, which discusses the steady degradation of democratic processes during the tenures of Indira Gandhi and her son Rajiv.
- "BIOGRAPHY of Boobli George Verghese". Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. September 1975. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- "Be armed with facts on J&K: B.G. Verghese". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 8 October 2006.
- "Endgame looms as nuclear deal strains Indian government". Reuters. 19 August 2007.
- BG Verghese Writings and Commentaries
- First Draft: Witness to the Making of Modern India, Verghese BG, p. 64
- BG Verghese Writings and Commentaries - Outlook magazine excerpt on the 1966 rupee devaluation rollercoaster, from B G Verghese's memoirs, First Draft: The Making of Modern In...
- The essential BG Verghese - Bangalore - DNA
- [dead link]
- Book Review: First Draft by B.G. Verghese - Forbes India