Boobs! The Musical
|Boobs! The Musical|
|The World According to Ruth Wallis|
|Productions||2000 Off-Broadway workshop
2004 New Orleans
2005 Wichita, Kansas
Boobs! The Musical: The World According to Ruth Wallis is a musical revue with lyrics and music by 1950s and 1960s star Ruth Wallis. Using 23 of Wallis' songs, Boobs! tells the story of Ruth Wallis' international career and struggles in performing her naughty songs. Boobs! The Musical opened at the Triad Theater in New York City on May 19, 2003, to critical praise.
The New York Times review noted, "Boobs! The Musical exudes a joyous innocence, saucy and silly. There's a lot of talent onstage!" Boobs! eventually transferred to Dillon's Reprise Room; by closing date it had played nearly 300 performances. It had subsequent long runs in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 2004, and in Wichita, Kansas, in 2005. Broadway artists Lawrence Leritz was producer/choreographer and Donna Drake, director. Also notable were the costumes by J. Kevin Draves and Robert Pease and set by Eric Harriz. The book adaptation was written by Steve Mackes and Michael Whaley.
Boobs! originally had a workshop at The Pulse Ensemble Theatre on the Off Broadway 42nd Street Theatre Row in December 2000. Various notable cast members from the three New York productions included J. Robert Spencer, Jenny-Lynn Suckling, Robert Hunt, Kristy Cates, Clyde Alves, Alena Watters, Brad Bradley, Tony Falcon, Benjie Randall and the New York theatre debut of Gennifer Flowers.
Musical Numbers Include
- Queer Things Are Happening
- The Dingy Song
- Man Of My Own
- All The Clowns
- Pizza Every Night
- Johnny's Yo Yo
- Ugly Man With Money
- I Know
- Love Is For The Birds
- Drill 'Em All
- Always Be A Bride
Awards and nominations
- 2004 Mac Awards Best Musical Revue (Lawrence Leritz, nominee)
- 2005 Big Easy Awards Best Musical (Lawrence Leritz, All Kinds of Theatre, nominees)
- 2005 Big Easy Awards Best Costumes (Winner, Cecile Casey Covert, based on original designs by Robert Pease and J. Kevin Draves)
- 2005 Big Easy Awards Best Musical Director (Harry Mayronne, nominee)
- 2005 Big Easy Awards Best Director (Carl Walker, nominee)
- 2005 Ambie Awards Best Ensemble Cast (Winners: Becky Allen, Maureen Brennan, Bob Edes, Jr., Ann Mahoney, Robert Thomas, Chris Wecklein)
- 2006 Teall Awards Best Musical (Lawrence Leritz, Cabaret Oldtown, nominees)
- 2006 Teall Awards Best Choreography (nominee, based on original choreography by Lawrence Leritz)
- Jones, Kenneth (July 30, 2003). "Boobs! The Musical Bustin' Out All Over; Cast Album, Regional Runs Expected", Playbill.
- Simon, John (August 11, 2003). "Edge – Boobs! – Judy Speaks", New York Magazine.
- Gates, Anita (May 29, 2003). "THEATER REVIEW; She Doesn't Need Her Vocal Chords to Sing , The New York Times.
- Jones, Kenneth (Dec. 19, 2003) "Boobs! The Musical Busts Its Way Into NYC Theatre District Dec. 19; Clyde Alves Joins Cast" http://www.playbill.com/news/article/83375.html Playbill
- Willis,John: (2002-2003) Theatre World, Volume 59, page 106
- Fox, Margalit (January 3, 2008). "Ruth Wallis, Singer-Writer of Risqué Songs, Dies at 87", The New York Times.
- Simon, John http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/theater/reviews/n_9087/ August 18, 2003, New York Magazine
- StageClick.com http://www.stageclick.com/show/1801.aspx
- Jones,Kenneth http://www.playbill.com/news/article/113764-Ruth-Wallis-Whose-Songs-Inspired-Boobs-The-Musical-Is-Dead Dec. 24, 2007, Playbill
- Gewirtzman, David http://www.playbill.com/news/article/67316-Today-In-Theatre-History-JANUARY-21 Jan. 21, 2011
- Sands,Brian and Shannon,Patrick http://www.ambushmag.com/is205/trod.htm Volume 23/ 2005