|Industry||Luxury goods, Jewellery|
Boodles is a British, jewellery company founded in 1798. A family company in its sixth generation, its roots are in North West England and it also has stores in London and Dublin. The company's Raindance ring has been included in the permanent jewellery exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. Their flagship store is found on New Bond Street, London.
Founded as Boodle and Dunthorne, Boodles dates from 1798 when its first shop opened in Liverpool. In 1910 it amalgamated with Wainwrights, owners of another jewellers in Liverpool. The business has stayed with the Wainwrights ever since.
Boodles grew to be Liverpool's most prominent jeweller in the 20th century and opened stores in Chester in 1965 and Manchester in 1982. Nicholas and Michael Wainwright took control from their father in 1992. Under their stewardship Boodles has opened several stores in London before expanding internationally during the 21st century.
Boodles has nine stores including five in London; Savoy Hotel, New Bond Street, Sloane Street, The Royal Exchange and Harrods, three in North West England; (Manchester, Liverpool and Chester) and one in Dublin.
Boodles announced it will sell jewellery from its website from summer 2012.
In its early years Boodles, as well as making jewellery, was a silversmith and watchmaker. During the 20th century the company provided chronographs and watches to air and naval officers. It also designed and crafted cups for sporting and non sporting competitions including the solid gold trophy for the winner of the Grand National and awards for the Chelsea Flower Show.
In the second half of the 20th century Boodles emerged as a leading retailer of bespoke jewellery. The company sources diamonds and gemstones and designs its own range of jewellery and is involved in every part of the manufacturing process.
Boodles is a member of the non-profit organisation Walpole which promotes British luxury goods and has Sotheby's, Coutts and Gleneagles amongst its members. Boodles was nominated in 2011 for the 'British Luxury Brand' award at the Walpole Awards for Excellence.
Boodles was named first by Retail Jeweller Magazine in a list of 50 Top Inspiring Independents in 2011.
The Boodles Challenge is a five-day tennis exhibition at Stoke Park in Buckinghamshire, held in the run up to Wimbledon. The event has attracted players such as Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
The Boodles Boxing ball is a biennial charity event held at the Park Plaza Hotel in London in the support of the Starlight Children's Foundation. The next event is to be held at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane on Saturday 21 September 2013.
- "/ Reports - Museum pieces: Exhibitions and their place in broadening consumer potential". Ft.com. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Yaqoob, Janine (2010-03-31). "Liverpool jewellers' ring to be showcased alongside finest jewels in world at Victoria & Albert Museum in London - Liverpool News - News". Liverpool Daily Post. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- 29 August 2011 (2011-08-29). "INSPIRING INDEPENDENTS 2011, PART 1 | In-depth". Retail Jeweller. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Boodles of Bond Street". Familybusinessplace.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "NWLG Clarence House sponsored by Boodles & Coutts". Princes-trust.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- bernard. "Boodles of Chester". Visit-chester.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "LDP Business Magazine December 2010". Issuu.com. 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Davis, Glynn (2012-02-13). "Retail Species - The establishment - Michael Wainwright of Boodles". Retail Insider. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Boodles at The Savoy Hotel". The Jewellery Editor. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "The Savoy's restoration will sparkle with jewels from Boodles". Cushwake.com. 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Boodles jewellery to be sold online". Telegraph.co.uk. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- "Liverpool jewels in V&A show | Lancashire Life". Lancashire.greatbritishlife.co.uk. 2010-10-03. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Finance. "Boodles bucks the trend with diamond business". Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "The Walpole British Luxury - View Company". Thewalpole.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Inspiring Independents 2011, part 1". Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- "Need a warm-up for Wimbledon? Boodles has the answer". Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- "Murray to play on Boodles' grass". Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- Rebecca English (2008-06-09). "Kate Middleton and Chelsy Davy up the fashion stakes on a night out at the boxing | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Richard Eden (2011-10-01). "William's former belle and Pippa are boxing clever in red; The Telegraph". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-01.