Booky Makes Her Mark
|Booky Makes Her Mark|
|Directed by||Peter Moss|
|Written by||Bernice Thurman Hunter
|Distributed by||Shaftesbury Films|
|Release dates||30 April 2006|
|Running time||89 min|
Booky Makes Her Mark is a made-for-TV movie that is based on the books by Bernice Thurman Hunter. This uplifting family film also features beloved Canadian actors Megan Follows ("Anne of Green Gables"), Roberta Maxwell and Lally Cadeau. Filmed in Hamilton Ontario Canada and set in Toronto, this film features a young and diverse cast of Canadian actors and actresses.
Beatrice “Booky” Thomson, is a spunky 15-year-old who dreams of becoming a great writer despite the odds. Life in Toronto during the 1930s are hard ones for Booky’s family. Parents Thomas and Francy are barely able to eke out a living for themselves and their children Willa, Arthur and Booky. But irrepressible Booky, with her big imagination and even bigger plans, seems able to tackle anything.
When her new school teacher, Mr. Jackson inspires her to become a writer, Booky pursues her career with gusto - until she lets some well-meaning advice from a great Canadian author shatter her dreams.
Following a short stay at Aunt Aggie’s Muskoka farm to quell a bout of bronchitis, Booky returns home to resume the usual joys and trials of growing up. She starts the Deanna Durbin fan club with her best friends Ruthie and Gladys, rebuffs the advances of her brother’s trouble-making friend Georgie, celebrates her 16th birthday with disastrous results, and falls for Gloria’s ex-boyfriend Lorne. Then one day, she decides to enter the local newspaper’s essay writing contest and what happens after that nearly turns Booky’s life upside down.
- Tatiana Maslany - Booky (Bernice Thomson)
- Megan Follows - Frances Thomson
- Stuart Hughes - Thomas Thomson
- Erik Knudsen - Arthur Thomson
- Sarah Allen - Willa Thomson
- Roberta Maxwell - Aunt Aggie
- Ephraim Ellis - Georgie
- Kate Todd - Gloria
- Mike Lobel - Lorne
- Lauren Collins - Ada-May
- Stacey Farber - Audrey
- Phillip Riccio - Roy-Roy
- Sarah Todd - Raggy Rachel
- Lally Cadeau - Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Barry MacGregor - Grandpa Cole
- Steven McCarthy - Mr. Jackson
- Nicky Guadagni - Mrs. MacDonald
- Leanna Brodie - School Secretary
- Neil Foster - Doctor
Awards & nominations
- 2006, Directors Guild of Canada nomination for 'DGC Craft Award'
- 2006, Directors Guild of Canada nomination for 'DGC Team Award'
- 2007, Canadian Society of Cinematographers Awards nomination for 'Best Cinematography in TV Drama'
- 2007, Gemini Awards nomination for 'Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Supporting Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series'
- 2007, Gemini Awards nomination for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Supporting Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series'
- 2007, Gemini Awards nomination for 'Best Photography in a Dramatic Program or Series'