Boom is a municipality located in Flanders, one of the three regions of Belgium, and in the Flemish province of Antwerp. The municipality only comprises the town of Boom proper. On January 1, 2006 Boom had a total population of 16,096. The total area is 7.37 km² which gives a population density of 2,185 inhabitants per km². Residents are known as "Boomers". The aforementioned data was provided in 2006 by statbel.fgov.be.
Boom is located between three big cities (Brussels, Antwerp and Mechelen) and near the Rupel river.
Because of the presence of clay around Boom, the region is well known for its clay pits and brick factories.
Born in Boom
- Peter Dens (1690), Catholic Theologian.
- Bobbejaan Schoepen (1925), singer-songwriter, guitarist and art whistler. He is also an actor, fantasist and founder of the Bobbejaanland amusement park in Belgium.
- Luc Van der Kelen (1948), journalist at Het Laatste Nieuws.
- Roland Van Campenhout, musician.
- Bavo Claes (1949), former news anchor.
- Glen De Boeck (1971), footballplayer and -coach.
- Bjorn Vleminckx (1986), footballplayer.
- Kevin Seeldraeyers (1986), cyclist.
- ^ Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- ^ http://statbel.fgov.be/verkiezingen2006/downloads/com_gem_11005_nl.doc.pdf
- ^ http://statbel.fgov.be/elections2006/downloads/com_gem_11005_fr.doc.pdf
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)