Boondall Wetlands, 2012
|Population||8,748 (2011 census)|
|• Density||803/km2 (2,079/sq mi)|
|Area||10.9 km2 (4.2 sq mi)|
|Location||17 km (11 mi) from Brisbane CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
Situated approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Brisbane near Moreton Bay, almost half way between Brisbane and the coastal city of Redcliffe. Bounded on the north by Deagon, Sandgate and Shorncliffe, on the east by Nudgee and Nudgee Beach, on the south by Banyo, Geebung and Virginia and on the west by Taigum and Zillmere.
The Boondall Wetlands are located in the east of the suburb. These internationally significant wetlands contain more than 1000 hectares of protected area that provide habitat to a wide range of animals including more than 190 species of birds.
A residential zone, Boondall is home to a mix of young and established families and retirees.
In the 2011 Census the population of Boondall is 8,748, 48.3% female and 51.7% male.
The median/average age of the Boondall population is 36 years of age, 1 year below the Australian average.
69.8% of people living in Boondall were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 4.9%, England 2.5%, India 2.4%, Philippines 2%, China 1.3%.
78.1% of people speak English as their first language 1.5% Cantonese, 1.5% Italian, 1.2% Punjabi, 1.1% Samoan, 1.1% Mandarin.
Close to the Boondall railway station is the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, where many live entertainment shows are held. One of the shows at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre was the popular musical theatre production The Man from Snowy River: Arena Spectacular.
Its local school is Boondall State School that has received numerous awards for their educational programs (e.g. ELF Literacy Program). The Internationally recognised and acclaimed St Joseph's College, Nudgee that has produced seven Rhodes scholars is situated in the southern part of Boondall (it was originally within the boundaries of the neighbouring suburb of Nudgee).
Boondall has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Boondall". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Boondall (entry 41700)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Birds of Boondall Wetlands Checklist". Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- "Agency ID10934, Boondall State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Lizard Insider. Retrieved 4 February 2008.
- "St Joseph's Nudgee College (entry 16508)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boondall, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Boondall
- "Boondall". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008.
- "Boondall". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 17 January 2008.