|Town of Boone, Colorado|
The old Boone Santa Fe Railroad depot that now serves as the town hall.
Location in Pueblo County and the State of Colorado
|State||State of Colorado|
|Incorporated (town)||September 22, 1956|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.4 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.4 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,465 ft (1,361 m)|
|• Density||807.5/sq mi (269.2/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0204800|
Boone was founded as Booneville during the Pikes Peak Gold Rush by Albert Gallatin Boone, grandson of Daniel Boone. Boone was the first postmaster and for a brief time Indian agent to the Cheyenne and Arapaho.
Boone is located at (38.250083, -104.255166).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 323 people, 131 households, and 89 families residing in the town. The population density was 719.7 people per square mile (277.1/km²). There were 148 housing units at an average density of 329.8 per square mile (127.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.50% White, 0.62% African American, 0.62% Native American, 1.55% from other races, and 3.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 31.58% of the population.
There were 131 households out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.4% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 26.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 24.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 88.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $26,964. Males had a median income of $26,563 versus $21,875 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,628. About 7.8% of families and 16.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.9% of those under age 18 and 13.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pages 94 and 114, Life of George Bent: Written From His Letters, by George E. Hyde, edited by Savoie Lottinville, University of Oklahoma Press (1968), hardcover, 390 pages; trade paperback, 280 pages (March 1983) ISBN 0-8061-1577-7 ISBN 978-0806115771
- Colorado Facts and Trivia, Page 3
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boone, Colorado.|