Boones Mill, Virginia
|Boones Mill, Virginia|
|• Mayor||Ben Flora|
|• Total||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,150 ft (350 m)|
|• Density||387.5/sq mi (148.7/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1492609|
Boones Mill was incorporated in 1927. It was previously known as Boone Mill.
Boones Mill is located at .(37.115462, -79.953966)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.9 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 285 people, 131 households, and 77 families residing in the town. The population density was 387.5 people per square mile (148.7/km²). There were 138 housing units at an average density of 187.6 per square mile (72.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.79% White, 2.46% African American, 0.70% Native American and 1.05% Asian. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.05% of the population.
There were 131 households out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.4% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.2% were non-families. 34.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the town the population was spread out with 20.4% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,688, and the median income for a family was $44,821. Males had a median income of $37,500 versus $23,542 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,795. About 3.8% of families and 8.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.9% of those under the age of eighteen and 11.6% of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "1940 United States of America Census" (in English). United States Census Bureau. 1940. p. 1. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- http://www.townofboonesmill.org/ Town of Boones Mill website
- http://naff.bravepages.com/boones_mill.html Boones Mill History Website