- "Aquila minuta" redirects here. If based on Brehm (1831), it refers to this bird. The fossil bird described under the same name by Milne-Edwards (1871) is preliminarily known as "Hieraaetus" edwardsi but might belong in Aquila.
The Booted Eagle (Aquila pennata) (formerly Hieraaetus pennatus) is a medium-sized bird of prey. It is about 46 centimetres (18 in) in length and has a wingspan of 120 centimetres (47 in). Like all eagles, it belongs to the family Accipitridae.
The Booted is a small eagle, comparable to the Common Buzzard in size though more eagle-like in shape. Males grow to about 510–770 grams (1.12–1.70 lb) in weight, with females about 950–1,000 grams (2.09–2.20 lb). There are two relatively distinct plumage forms. Pale birds are mainly light grey with a darker head and flight feathers. The other form has mid-brown plumage with dark grey flight feathers.
The call is a shrill kli-kli-kli.
Recent genetic research resulted in the reclassification of this species to the genus Aquila from Hieraaetus. As it is the type species of Hieraaetus, should any of the hawk-eagles be retained in a distinct genus a new name for that group would be necessary.
- Splitting headaches? Recent taxonomic changes affecting the British and Western Palaearctic lists - Martin Collinson, British Birds vol 99 (June 2006), 306-323
- Bunce, M., et al. (2005) Ancient DNA Provides New Insights into the Evolutionary History of New Zealand's Extinct Giant Eagle. PLoS Biol 3(1): e9 doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0030009 HTML open-source article
- Lerner, H. R. L. and D. P. Mindell (2005) Phylogeny of eagles, Old World vultures, and other Accipitridae based on nuclear and mitochondrial DNA. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution (37): 327-346. PDF document
- Clark, William S. (1987) The rufous morph of the Booted Eagle, pp. 21–24 in International Bird Identification: Proceeedings of the 4th International Identification Meeting, Eilat, 1st - 8 November 1986 International Birdwatching Centre Eilat
- Booted Eagle - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds
- Oiseaux Photos
- Ageing and sexing (PDF; 4.2 MB) by Javier Blasco-Zumeta & Gerd-Michael Heinze
- Booted Eagle from India by Anuj Kale